Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

David Wessel, WSJ: "Too Big to Fail" (poor Jamie...)

edited October 2011 in Fund Discussions
Here's an excerpt from a good article in today's WSJ- I can't link it, as they require a subscription.

"The two dozen or so big banks woven into the fabric of the global economy are a special case: If they go, it's not only their shareholders and creditors who get hurt; everyone does. Because of that, everyone expects governments to rescue them.That can be costly, and gives those institutions an edge in raising money, taking risks and attracting customers over banks that are "too small to save."

Big banks can be vital to the global economy, though how big is big enough is a question yet to be answered. Big trucks are good for the economy, too. They can carry lots of stuff and do things cars can't. But you don't want to be on the road when a truck crashes and explodes. So we require tougher safety standards for trucks than cars, more training for their drivers, and so on.

"The right response," Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke told Congress this week, "is to put extra cost, extra supervision on these [financial] firms that will give them an incentive to eliminate unnecessary size, to eliminate unnecessary activities and to reduce their risk-taking."

One approach to dealing with this small group of big banks: Make them hold even more capital, as a percentage of assets, than other banks. Leaders of big banks—mostly loudly J.P. Morgan Chase's Jamie Dimon here in the U.S.—aren't happy. No surprise: The rule is likely to reduce their profits and limit their dividends."

One more thing: There's an alternative to requiring the biggest banks to hold extra capital, which bankers would like even less: Break them up.

Comments

• WSJ link

It's currently being offered as a "free sample of exclusive subscriber content".
  • Reply to @msf: Hi- yeah, I got to the "free sample" once, but now it's blocked- they must have dumped another cookie on me.
  • Hi OJ,

Another apporach would be to bring back the guillotine.

peace,

rono
  • Reply to @johnN: Yes, John, that's exactly what I did, and I obtained the complete article. However when I test-transferred the link to MFO it produced only the truncated "preview" version. Since the results were inconsistent and unpredictable, I elected to not post the link. However, here is that link- it may or may not work properly: Wessel WSJ Article
  • I have no sympathy for the big banks. They should be regulated like a utility so they do not risk the whole systemic collapse.

But our republican congressmen and candidates is already trying to sell us that this regulation is bad in order to court donations from the bankers. But than again they have the nerve to criticize the TARP. If they do not want TARP ever again, they should support efforts to reduce risk taking in banking sector but they don't. BTW, what the congressmen says what we need (less bank regulation) is not what I hear from most of my American friends even republican ones. It shows how corrupt the system is.
  • edited October 2011
    Hi Investor- good to see you joining the fist fight. This subject, along with Hank's
    "Wall St. Protestors" thread, may be a couple of the most interesting food-fights since the good old days at FA.

My only observation on your comment would be that it's probably not totally fair to single out the Republicans- they make more noise and holler a lot but when it comes time to vote for the banks there's a lot of Demos sneaking in there too. Got to get reelected, you know, and the money's got to come from somewhere...

Regards- OJ
  • edited October 2011
    Reply to @Old_Joe: When you search the article title via Google and access the article via Google you can often read the full article w/o membership.

Search for "Big Banks Find No Comfort in Capital Cushion‎" on Google.
  • edited October 2011
    Reply to @Old_Joe:

Well, I agree, WSJ is equal opportunity corrupter to advance their agenda.

But since it was the Democrat politicians that basically created the Dodd-Frank bill (and it was already diluted enough by Wall Streets lobbying), Democrat politicians mostly have sort of fallen out of favor by Bankers.

Seeing this as an opportunity, Republican politicians are trying to score some points to create an advantage for their campaign war chests. But they need the constituents to vote so they are distort the view by pushing the evil regulation card and kind of fuzz it by giving examples from other sectors (which may have valid examples to excessive regulation).
  • edited October 2011
    Reply to @Investor: Yep.

By the way, Investor, since I've got you here- in the above post I tried to link to Hank's thread, but couldn't make it work properly, please try it: Wall St. Protestors

I wrote the code as: href="http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss.php#/discussion/1382/wall-st.-protestors-target-homes-of-top-executives">"Wall St. Protestors".

Any ideas?
  • Reply to @Investor:

Yeah, those TBTF bankers & traders are sure fickle; you have to be with them 100%, every minute, can't even dole out a single insincere criticism for public consumption while you're shoveling cash out the back door for them, like BO and team have done, or they're off to the other guys.

Seriously, I don't see how we get out of this insanity without a major semi-anarchic event like GD II. Citizens United has us caught in the corporate spiderweb with no way out that I can fathom.