Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Radio Shack at the edge of the Abyss.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/radioshack-tanking-112200821.html

This is old news but this update makes it seem the end is near. We have discussed RS before here.

Comments

• A snippet from the article:
    The company posted a net loss of $98.3 million, or $0.97 a share. Analysts were looking for a loss of $0.52 per share.

The electronics retailer said it ended the quarter with total liquidity of $423.7 million, including $61.8 million in cash and cash equivalents and $361.9 million available under a credit agreement.
    The liquidity looks awfully low.

RS for years has had poor to no inventory and indifferent salespeople in the stores.
    Too bad. It was once a bright company that offered many young people a way into hands-on learning about electronics, and so jump-started careers.
  • @JohnChisum: Just cleaning up a few odds and ends before I move on. It appears that this RS Super Bowl Commercial had little, if any impact.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited June 2014
    Gamestop in a few years. RS had a plan to sort of "restart" in emerging markets, but never seems to have happened.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Maurice- yes, there's one a half block away from the house, and I've been going up there once in a while to stock up on project boxes, switches, and connectors that I'll probably never use, but when RS goes away, will be more difficult to find. Sigh...
  • Yep a lot of brands come and go. PanAm and American Motors to name a couple. A lot of brands have changed in other ways. Chrysler is really Fiat with a different badge.

We all know those things that never change; death and taxes. Then again who knows.

I still remember the old cash registers and the proper way to count change back to the customer. Automobiles used to have chokes and wing vents. One purchased meat at a butcher market.

Perhaps I am showing my age.
  • Hey, why will creditors not approve their plan to shutter stores?

Seems counter intuitive to me.
  • I guess that I could see them size-down to just an internet presence, but even then I wonder how many customers like me they could hold on to? Typically old guys who still build stuff or customize A/V installations once in a while. How many of the younger generations even do that?
  • Well, I thought they planned to only shutter "money losing" stores, but would keep open their successful ones...no?
  • Yes, that's kinda what I remember too, but they were pretty vague on how many of their stores are actually "successful". In any case, it seems like a matter of time before they all slowly but surely go under.