Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Tweedy, Browne: sorry, no more purchases in the $4-7 million/day range, please

Just got a note from the Tweedy folks, announcing "new daily trade limit restrictions for the Tweedy, Browne Funds. These limits have been established in an effort to reduce inflows of cash in an environment that is offering up fewer new value opportunities." In particular, "large inflows into any Fund from a single purchaser on a given day are subject to prior review by the Fund's Advisor, and may be rejected by the Fund. ... As of the date of this notice, the "large inflow" amounts are" $4M for Global Value and Global Value II, $7M for Value and Worldwide Hi Div Yield Value. In bold and caps: THESE AMOUNTS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE AT ANY TIME WITHOUT NOTICE.

Fascinating, captain.

David

Comments

• Yes, very. Sounds like they don't like being forced to make very large purchases in this particular market.
  • They're pricey; aside from that, I think the Tweedy crew is one of the few fiduciaries out there.
  • edited June 2014

They're pricey; aside from that, I think the Tweedy crew is one of the few fiduciaries out there.

My sentiments exactly. I like this investing team.
    I would have a higher % of my portfolio with them if their expense ratios were quite a bit lower.

• Yes, they were well regarded even back in the Lou Rukeyser days, as I recall.
  • They also have a nice tradition, culture and history behind them. IIRC, Warren Buffett may have purchased his first stock using the Tweedy Browne brokerage?
  • So, when my $4-7M in dvd income flows into my ckg account at month's end, and I have an urge to send it all to my Tweedy accounts as a subsequent investment, does this mean I'll "have to" trickle it in, day after day, in piddly $200K amounts? Geez, I guess the trend continues in putting up more and more barriers for the small retail investor to overcome. SUBJECT TO CHANGE AT ANY TIME WITHOUT NOTICE. I feel so disabused.
  • For a small commission you can send half to me, and we'll cut the deposit time in half. (Not to mention the deposit as well.) :-)
  • @Old_Joe: Wow, you be one remarkable problem-solver, Joe. So enviable. And so nice to have such a practical alternative! I'll think of it as my Tweedy Browne Investment Plan B (do you charge for wire transfers?)
  • Aww, shucks! Since you were so nice, for you, no charge for wire transfers!
  • rjb112 said:

They're pricey; aside from that, I think the Tweedy crew is one of the few fiduciaries out there.

I would have a higher % of my portfolio with them if their expense ratios were quite a bit lower.

My sentiments as well. They're going with a pretty high cash level now so obviously they aren't finding much of value to buy. Maybe this indicates that they feel they could handle any forced liquidations from a market downdraft if it comes from small investors, but if you get redemptions from the big boys that cash might be eaten up in a hurry? Anyway, it seems to show some concern for the smaller investor.

• Vert said:

rjb112 said:

My sentiments as well. They're going with a pretty high cash level now so obviously they aren't finding much of value to buy. Maybe this indicates that they feel they could handle any forced liquidations from a market downdraft if it comes from small investors, but if you get redemptions from the big boys that cash might be eaten up in a hurry? Anyway, it seems to show some concern for the smaller investor.

I don't currently use them for my IRA because I think they're a bit too conservative, but they fit my wife's taste to a "t". I have considered them for some personal mid-term investing goals outside of my IRA, however, where I'm more concerned about short-term downside. Their international fund seems to do better vis-a-vis its benchmark than the others, but I'm pleased with their overall performance, intellectual honesty, shareholder focus (aside from said fees, which AMG might have something to do with), and commitment to a bona-fide value strategy.