Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Barry Ritholtz: Curate Your Personal Investment Resources

FYI: I taught Barry everything he knows, just kidding, but I've been at this a lot longer than he has.
Regards,
Ted
Regards,
Ted
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/barry-ritholtz-curate-your-personal-investment-resources/2014/06/13/afcc511a-ef34-11e3-bf76-447a5df6411f_story.html

Comments

• "Curate." There's a word I've not seen for a long time. And used as a VERB. OK.
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/curate (Noun.)

Thanks for this one, Ted!
  • edited June 2014
    Ted is our personal curat-or (xxxxx)
  • MJG
    edited June 2014
    Hi Ted,

It appears that you have decided to continue the march, at least for now. That's good. Thank you.

Indeed you have been doing this form of research for years, and I have benefited from it since the early FundAlarm days. Compared to your time on the job, Barry Ritholtz is a rookie. He was likely in the 4th grade when you posted your first listing.

I’m happy that you have elected to basically ignore the MFO naysayers except for your very perceptive summary sentence. This too reflects your overarching experience level.

I suspect some segment of these naysayers adhere to the following advice which was published about 7 months ago by Ritholtz titled “Reduce the Noise Levels in Your Investment Process”:

" (1) Constantly consume mainstream media. Financial television is an excellent source of actionable investing ideas.

(2) Play down data. It’s overrated. Stick with anecdotes from people you know personally and your gut instincts.

(3) Pay attention to pundits. They exist for the sole purpose of helping you reach a comfortable retirement.

(4) Get the inside dope. All of the important information about the stock market — especially when it is going to crash or rally — is known only to handful of secret insiders. If you can’t get their magic knowledge, blame them for any losses you incur.

(5) Stress about this. Exert lots of energy, spend lots of time and create lots of tension about all of the following: Federal Reserve and the Taper, the Dollar versus the Euro, the Tea Party and Congress, Hyper-Inflation, European Sovereign Bank Debt, Gold, China, Deflation, Austerity and the Hindenburg Omen.

(6) Don’t do the math. Numbers are vastly overrated, and probability analysis is for geeks anyway.

(7) Stay in your comfort zone. Focus only on those news sources that are in sync with your politics. Seek out sources that confirm your preexisting opinions and investment postures. Never read anything that challenges your beliefs.

(8) Think fast. Trading is where the big money is made! Don’t worry about the long term — it’s way off in the future. Measure your success in hours and days, not years and decades.

(9) Have a Super Happy Fun Time. There is no reason that you cannot also have a good time with your retirement account: It’s tax -deferred, so you have no capital gains consequences. Have fun with it — that’s what it’s there for anyway!

(10) Ask: What Have You Done For Me Lately? Never listen to people with good long-term track records who may have had a losing period. When Warren Buffett underperformed in 1999, you should have written him off. Investing is about recent performance!"

Of course, Ritholtz was just showing off his sarcastic side. He meant and believes just the opposite. He called this subsection of his article “How to Get More Noise and Less Signal”. I love it! In this arena you and Ritholtz share some common characteristics.

Thanks once again for doing this arduous task. It has saved me and many other MFO members countless hours of searching time while wisely directing our attention to meaningful candidate articles that will positively inform us in most instances.

Continue to continue the march.

Best Wishes.