Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Top Midcap Funds Of 15 Years Spotty Year-To-Date

TedTed
edited June 2014 in Fund Discussions
FYI: The average midcap stock fund has preformed second only to small-cap funds the past 15 years and well beyond the broad stock market. Midcap funds are having a difficult time staying ahead of the large-cap-oriented S&P 500 this year
Regards,
Ted
http://license.icopyright.net/user/viewFreeUse.act?fuid=MTgxODI5Njg=

Enlarged View Of Fund Graphic: http://news.investors.com/photopopup.aspx?path=WMUTO1_061714.gif&docId=704860&xmpSource=&width=1000&height=1063&caption=

Comments

• Of the value-oriented ones, it's interesting how very much better FLPSX does than HWMIX if you start in the summer of 2007, which is what I always advise. By the same token, wow, that JPM FLMVX sure looks like a winner and manager Simon one of those very rare consistent overperformers.
  • FLMVX is a winner only if you have the $3,000,000 minimum to get in.
  • The article is so typical of financial writers and publications, all about "what have you done for me LATELY". No wonder the average investor does so much worse than the funds she/he invest in.
  • OJ, thanks; missed that. If you pay a whopping load you can get in for the usual small amount. And then your results will be much worse than FLPSX. Oh, wait, it's also closed. It also has lagged its Russell MCV index for 1/5/10y, huh? Guess I be stickin' with Tillinghast.
  • Of the value-oriented ones, it's interesting how very much better FLPSX does than HWMIX if you start in the summer of 2007, which is what I always advise.

Do you have a tool or financial calculator that you use to determine the total return of any mutual fund using whatever start and end date you want?

You can use Adjusted Closing prices from Yahoo Finance, but I'm not confident in the accuracy of this method.

It's easy to calculate percentage price change using any start and end date, but distributions [dividends, long and short term capital gain distributions] have to be added in to the calculation, making things more complicated. And you have to find out all the distributions that took place from the start and end date in question. The NAV goes down by the amount of any distribution.

• M* is all I use, growth of 10k, enter any dates you want. May not have the granularity you desire; I use the free login. I think Lipper via Marketwatch does what you describe, though with no time granularity.
  • Just went there. You're right about not having quite the granularity I'm looking for. I entered some sample dates, e.g., 12/31/2012 to 12/31/2013 to check its accuracy on the full calendar year 2013 performance of a mutual fund. Can't get the "bouncing ball" on the graph to land on the precise dates in question. Very close though. Unless it will 'land' on precise dates, I have no way of checking the accuracy of the tool itself.