Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

10y out: survival, Pascal, apocalypses, unpredictability

Peter Bernstein, died 5y ago now: Good rereading for me. His apparent caprices aside, plus the usual gov debt worry. But bracing for me then, and almost as much so now. Survival, calculating bad outcomes, etc.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/10/11/markets/benstein_bonus_0411/

Comments

• thanks...a great read!
  • You're welcome. I sure concur in your take, but was pleasantly surprised at how much of what he had to say is now incorped into the best mainstream thinking, here and elsewhere.
  • I didn't realize that Peter Bernstein was no longer with us. One of my favorite books, "The Power of Gold: The History of an Obsession" was was recommended to me by Investor, one of our long-time posters, as I was very curious to understand how the world functioned on the gold standard, and in fact, how the gold standard came into existence.

A fascinating overview of finance generally, and the evolution of financial dealings and exchanges between nations and individuals, from the very beginning (barter) to now (paper or electronic transfer).

I re-read sections from time to time, and use it as a reference book.
  • @davidrmoran
    Sweet! In every discipline, there are those rare individuals, who come along all too infrequently, that you wish would live and write forever. And then, eventually, your wish doesn't come true. I miss Peter Bernstein. If I'm fortunate (or maybe unfortunate) enough to live to experience my brain turning to mush, something Peter Bernstein put in there will probably be among the last things dumped.