Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

My struggles with MFO

When I first posted here a while back, I was totally unprepared for the vitriol and bullying with which I was met. It was so hurtful. Ted even called me a liar - for no good reason. I tried to deal with the pain and rejection as best I could. I even resolved never to post again. I tried to put it out of my mind and move on, but every time I looked at a computer, it all came rushing back in a swirl of confusion and emotional pain. (And you know, computers are everywhere.)

Still, my counselors, psychiatrists, and suicide prevention team were unanimous that I should confront my fears, my pain, and my bullies and post again. I have tried to cheerfully contribute and enter in over the past few weeks. Still, one more thing needs to be addressed:

Ted, please apologize for publicly calling me a liar.

Comments

• Take the best and leave the rest.

People act a way on a board they would never usually act in person.

If this board has an 'ignore poster' function use it.
  • edited June 2014
    dryflower- I have to believe that you are, for effect, exaggerating the "vitriol and bullying" here on MFO. If that were typical of this site I and many others would have left it years ago.

Actually, you are deserving of some degree of recognition- you managed to attract Ted's ire right out of the starting gate. It took me a few years before attaining that honorable distinction:
    Ted → Old_Joe
    If you don't like my links and comments on MFO, find yourself a new site. Lead, follow or get out of my way. October 2013 Comment
    Unfortunately, the past few months seemed to generate an unusual degree of contention among a few "alpha-males" for self-designated leadership roles on MFO, resulting in a distinctly abnormal and unpleasant environment. The real site leader, David Snowball, was aware of that, and it was the reason for his "on maintaining a vibrant and civil community" post last week.

I've appreciated your comments, contributions and style, for instance your latest regarding "a little class".

There isn't any automatic "ignore poster" facility that I'm aware of, but the "flag" function may be used to draw a moderator's attention to questionable commentary or behavior.

From the current stats, so far you've initiated eight posts (including this one) with 76 responses and over 1900 views. Pretty damned impressive! To make yourself feel better, you might compare that to the number of responses and views of... oh, I don't know... maybe a frequent poster of links?

Looking forward to your continued participation-

Regards-
    OJ

• edited June 2014
    dryflower said:

Ted, please apologize for publicly calling me a liar.

I sense a youtube clip and something about a woodshed as a response in 5,4,3,2,1....

• Ted has slammed me a few times in this forum.

I view it as

1. an honor

2. funny

But that's just me.
  • Every board has its curmudgeon.
  • :-) To clarify:
    curmudgeon |kərˈməjən|
    noun
    a bad-tempered or surly person.
  • edited June 2014
    @Ted Gee, thanks Ted, that was really helpful.

@dryflower:
    I'm modeling for ya here; follow. While you can't expect everyone in the whole wide world to parse everything, at all times, in a way that will avoid you having "hurt feelings," I think you should expect people to be considerate. When those expectations are not met, then those people may have demonstrated far more what they're about, not what you're about, and their opinions should have no value and be disregarded out-of-hand. In the interest of your well-being, you file that for future reference, and react accordingly (which is to have no reaction at all).

Take from the few empathic comments you have received to your post. For every one of these, there are probably at least four MFOers out there who are thinking, "ditto." It also appears at least some of your contributions have been valued by others; as Old_Joe points out, that's a pretty good batting average for a starter. IF you stick with it, you're probably gonna get better. We can all get better, but only if we keep focused on the prize. And if someone is having a bad day/week, and they come here with a frown for you, then why not just compensate with a Double Grin!? Your emotions are self-made; you have the power to control this aspect of your reality; use it to validate yourself, and you're gonna find most people moving in your direction will amplify it.
  • I'm hoping "dryflower" is not a fictitious person and someone's idea of a prank