Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

? for Junkster

Sorry if you've answered this before but I don't follow the discussions religiously. I believe you have stated that you are "all in" whatever fund you fancy at the moment. I also think that you have mentioned that said fund constitutes your entire trading portfolio. My question is, does that amount equal your entire investing wealth/funds and if not what percentage are you playing with?

I have read your book and refer to it often but I don't think that I could ever put all my money on red, black or behind the eight ball. Just wondering if you do.

Thanks.

Comments

• Yes, my entire liquid net worth is normally 100% in one fund. But I use a tight trailing stop of around 1% to 1.25%. Remember I am into tight rising channels and at this point in my financial life bond funds. Look back at 2012 and PONDX or last year in HFRZX, and this year in NHMRX (present holding) When some of these bond funds get into a rhythm, it is very persistent with nary a drawdown along the way. Normally, when funds in such a tight pattern bring that rhythm to the downside it is indicative of more decline on the way. In the 90s used the same methodology but with equity funds in tight rising channels and a larger % trailing stop.

Junk bond funds are notorious for their trend persistency and lack of drawdown along the way. I learned that in real time back in early 91 when I made my first foray into them. Although they were not my primary trading tool in the 90s they have become such over time. A friend of mine who also trades junk bond funds looked at some timing models using a trailing stop of 1% to 1.50% as an exit and then the same percentages as a reentry off any subsequent lows. Really impressive long term results.
  • I get that and understand. Your also welcome for my small contribution to your investable wealth.

Are your stops mental or do you have a good relationship with your broker? See, when I go out hiking it's for days on end with a backpack and no specific time agenda.
  • Cool. Good stuff Junkster. Thanks for sharing.
  • NHMRX is up 12.49% YTD, tax free.

Wow.
  • >>Are your stops mental or do you have a good relationship with your broker? See, when I go out hiking it's for days on end with a backpack and no specific time agenda.<<

Mark, my days of backpacking ended when I left the west. Although love it back here in the east, it's not exactly a backpacker's dream, at least compared to the Sierras. With the bond funds I don't have to watch the markets like before. Only when they get close to my stops do I have to be more diligent, otherwise free to spend as much time as possible in the outdoors.
  • @Junkster Did you have ice water injected into your veins as a newborn, or did you have that done later?
    p.s. I live in Carson City, less than 15min drive from the eastern crest overlooking Lake Tahoe, 30min from Desolation Wilderness, and 60min from backside of Yosemite (but a lot lower). I could get in a couple of day hikes for you next week if it would make you feel better.:)
  • What's this book to which Mark refers?
  • edited June 2014
    Deleted by request. Sorry I didn't catch it earlier. My apologies.

I've said before that I don't come here often and was not aware of the original request.
  • edited June 2014
    >>>>Did you have ice water injected into your veins as a newborn, or did you have that done later?
    p.s. I live in Carson City, less than 15min drive from the eastern crest overlooking Lake Tahoe, 30min from Desolation Wilderness, and 60min from backside of Yosemite (but a lot lower). I could get in a couple of day hikes for you next week if it would make you feel better.:)<<<<<

heezsafe, lived 16 years in Reno and my favorite hiking and backpacking spot in your neck of the woods was the Sawtooth Range outside of Bridgeport.

As an aside, going to try the Cman route and abstain from posting. Yes, I know, tried this once before unsuccessfully but this time will try harder. Good luck to all.

Edit: All the time I posted here, I never once mentioned my book. And the ones that knew I wrote one, I asked them kindly not to mention it. The last thing I wanted was to come across as someone pandering a book, especially one written almost 15 years. Last year my royalty income came to a grand $102. I believe you can get this free online, otherwise just pick up a used one. Thanks Mark. You are a swell guy. I e-mailed you yesterday politely asking if you could delete the reference to me writing a book.
  • edited June 2014
    @ Junkster -see above. The only email I have from you was in reference to a precious metals thread. I sincerely didn't mean to offend. Honestly, I thought that cat was out of the bag when you made a few posts using your real name.
  • edited June 2014
    Hi Junkster,

I want to wish you well as you have again deceided to abstain form posting here at MFO ... but, how about lurking? I do want you to know that I have enjoyed reading your comments and there are no doubt many paths that lead to the top of the mountain. Perhaps, we will meet sometime. Hope so anyway.

Best regards,
    CecilJK aka Old_Skeet
  • As an aside, going to try the Cman route and abstain from posting. Yes, I know, tried this once before unsuccessfully but this time will try harder. Good luck to all.
    Hi Junkster,

Please reconsider.

Mona