Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Supreme Court rules against Aereo in TV streaming case

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/supreme-court-ruling-aereo-140858229.html;_ylt=A0SO8zSG3KpTfSEADfdx.9w4;_ylu=X3oDMTBsOXB2YTRjBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkAw--

This might hold large consequences for companies that were planning broadband television. Apple, Google, and Microsoft being the bigger names.

Comments

• Maybe I didn't understand but I thought the ruling was essentially that they would have to pay for the content they were reselling. (Be more like Comcast, etc.)
  • Since the technology depends on large numbers of very small "translation devices", located near and controlled by consumers who have the capability of choosing any channel at will, how could there be any feasible way of determining who gets paid for what?
  • I'd actually thought about investing in IAC Interactive, who was one of the primary backers of Aereo, but I guess I just didn't care about the other 99.5% or so of the company.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Maurice- Yes, I can surely agree with that interpretation. But we are both old enough to remember "community cable" systems, which took local off-the-air TV broadcasts and relayed them to communities that could not normally receive those TV signals due to terrain or distance issues. I'd be very surprised if those community cable systems paid the local TV stations to do that, and they certainly did charge their customers for the service, as indeed they should have.

I wonder what the difference is?

I don't imagine that there are very many (if any) of those local systems still operating- all of the ones that I'm familiar with were bought by one of the larger cable systems, with a commensurate dramatic increase in customer charges.
  • FYI:
    Regards,
    Ted
    Broadcasters' stocks including CBS Corp. CBS +6.19% , Comcast Corp. CMCSA +1.08% and Walt Disney Co. DIS +1.48% rose after the Supreme Court ruled that Aereo Inc., an online-video service, violated copyright law
  • This was breaking news just as I was headed for bed last night. After some thinking I don't see how this would affect Apple and the others as they are planning pay services that would satisfy the royalties laws. The big difference is that Apple would have you pay for the programs you want to watch while Comcast forces you to support failing and or low viewership channels by packaging them with high demand programming.

Aereo is a unique situation. Kind of the modern version of antenna tv without the catheter and lawyer commercials. Also the programs on antenna tv are very old.
  • edited June 2014
    "Comcast forces you to support failing and or low viewership channels by packaging them with high demand programming. "

Like CNBC....which they own.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-06-24/cnbc-viewership-drops-lowest-1997-cramer-has-worst-month-ever
  • There ya go.