Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Brand Loyalty at its Finest.

People who are bringing in their recalled GovMo cars are buying new cars of the same brand.

http://jalopnik.com/chevy-cobalt-owners-are-ditching-their-cars-for-new-g-1586587428

Comments

• edited July 2014
    http://jalopnik.com/chevy-cobalt-owners-are-ditching-their-cars-for-new-g-1586587428

Ya, I can't believe it, either. Our Jeep Patriot (Chrysler-Fiat, right?) died in a fire. The new Jeep Cherokee we replaced it with is too damn fancy for its own good. And the CD player was extra. Cripes. And it's located in the console BETWEEN the front bucket seats. And to get to it, you have to open-up and flip-back the top panel. Because they ran out of room where it SHOULD go, I suppose. Because there are ports for flash drive, something else and something else and the IPod plug. I'm getting old. And there's TWO different ways to turn some of the stuff on and off. The wife likes it. Happy wife, happy life.
    ....Just give me a friggin' CAR. I don't need a fighter jet cockpit. AAaarrgghh. And I'm willing to take it in any color, as long as it's black. Hee hee. Giggle. Grin.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Chrysler_Automobiles
  • Crash, I rented a Patriot a couple of years ago back stateside. Generally it was a okay vehicle but my peeve was the sharp end of a screw on the seat frame that caught my ankle more than once. Don't they think of these things when they put them together? In general the fit and finish was not that good. The engine seemed pretty smooth though.
  • edited July 2014
    Must have been a lemon you rented. The CVT transmission is sluggish, yes. On the Cherokee, it's a 9-speed auto trans. 4 cyl, still not powerful. Adequate. We won't be going off-road with it. That sharp screw-end you mentioned was never a problem with us. Your rental must have been "rode hard and put away wet" before you got to it.:(
  • edited July 2014
    Hello,

Old_Skeet is old school here as I still use my 1992 Jeep Cherokee Lerado to put my boat in and out of the water at the coast. Still in great shape and an eye catcher with the Jeep folks. And, yes it is still driven and has about 140,000 miles (range) on it which has averaged out to about 500 miles a month from when it was bought back in 1992. One of the best vehicles we have ever owned and one of the reasons we still have it. Now looking to buy a good clean low milage preowned Commander when I can find one that my pants fit its seat covers and perhaps the wife's skirt too. It's now time to let one of our Oldsmobile Auroras go. However, the Indy block one is still a keeper for us. With this, Old_Skeet keeps on keeping-on.

Keep on Jeep'n.

Old_Skeet
  • edited July 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2014
    The new Cherokee we own is that way. Fancier than a $20.00 whore. Bells, whistles, video screen... But just today, I note that the damn compass--- which no one needs--- is stuck between N and NE. (It's a visual display, by the video-displayed speedometer.) No matter what direction we drive in, the compass tells us we're going either North or North-east. With just 1,000 miles on the bugger. I want my "old" Patriot back. This replacement car was a compromise. I like Jeep, she likes the looks. She never liked the looks of the Patriot. I appreciated its more traditional round Jeep headlights and more conventional-looking vertical front grill.... And (grin) did I mention my 1997 Saturn with 293,000 miles? Head gasket seeps, but it runs, and even the A/C still works great. I use it to go fishing and run to the gym and just local stuff anymore.
  • edited July 2014
    Hi Crash,

My compass is still working in my 1992 Cherokee along with its outside temperature reading sensors. My wife and I looked at the new Cherokee ... but, decided we'd look for a low milage clean preowned Commander (more room and less facny dancy things) plus the more traditional Jeep look. There are a good number to be found but finding one with low milage is another thing.

As a matter of fact there is not anything that does not work including the power seats on the 92. Even being a Jeep this one has a good ride much like a car with touring suspension and the a/c is cold enough to chill drinks as it will pull down to the high 30's low 40's in hot weather. So there seems to be something to be said about those old freon-12 systems.

Old_Skeet
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • We got an Altima around New Years. The ignition button doesn't bug me as much as the sound controls on the steering wheel which I still haven't figured out and the message telling the driver the tire pressure is low, but without telling you which one or how low. It pops up in the mileage screen and won't go away so I can't actually tell the mileage anymore even after putting air in.

Other than that, really like the car.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Attention MFO's: Please stand and sing the GM Song
    Regards,
    Ted
    GM Song : Kyle Gass:
  • Roaring laughing here.