Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

SEC to industry: "try using understandable language"

Here's a concern with which I'm intensely sympathetic. I've tried delegating our monthly "funds in registration" piece to bright folks who are not obsessive about investing. There's a simple template and easy direction on where, in an SEC filing, to find the info. We've never been able to make the system work. Why? Because even the summary prospectuses describe the fund's investment plans in often impenetrable language and even the question "am I eligible to invest" is mired in discussions of "certain financial intermediaries."

The SEC is returning, once again, to the Herculean task of encouraging clarity according to an article in Financial Planning. They're trying to reason with the industry about it, though I'm not hopeful of the outcome of any discussion between marketers, bureaucrats and lawyers.

A funny footnote that might baffle younger readers: the SEC admits that some of their fund information is still written for DOS.

David

Comments

• What's a "DOS"?

OJ
  • edited July 2014
    C:\WINDOWS\cd\SMH
  • Oh, that DOS. I wasn't paying much attention at the time because I was busy being productive on a Mac.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It seems this might be an outstanding opportunity to help some of those people who are overly obsessive about investing. Since David has made the clear and valuable point that burdening ourselves with more information often leads to lower quality of life and lower returns on our investments, reading these summary prospectuses might go a long way towards breaking the obsession or at least bringing on a good nap.
  • @Maurice I'm not sure I would trust anything Miley tried to teach anyone about risk.
  • @David_Snowball
    And a side footnote that might baffle grammarians of all ages, for all ages: your first sentence. (sigh) Perhaps, it may be time for the dreaded red pencil to make a comeback.:)
  • That got by me. "Sympathetic to"??? DAVID!!
  • edited July 2014
    If it's partially formatted for
    DOS, could a PERL script get you the right info?
  • Jeez, guys, I don't see any problem. Whacha fussin' about?

David (the guy who certainly wouldn't go back and edit his own posts for dignity's sake)