Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Scott Burns: Will Congress Keep Your Investments Safe ? Maybe. Maybe Not

FYI: The passage, or failure, of a single piece of legislation is going to tell us a lot about whether our Congress represents the people of the United States or just its financial service industry donors
Regards,
Ted
http://assetbuilder.com/scott_burns/will_congress_keep_your_investments_safe_maybe_maybe_not

Comments

• Think you have $500,000 SIPC protection on your account? Think again.
    "Well, it turns out the SIPC has a different definition of “net equity.” It isn’t the value of your account on the last statement from your brokerage firm. It is the amount of money you deposited with the firm, less any amounts withdrawn."
  • Did anybody else read this article? A bit disturbing. Not the easiest article to fully grasp.
  • A dollar just isn't what it used to be.

My take; the govt knows they cannot cover everyone so they sugar coat the numbers to make everyone feel good until that time comes. It makes me wonder if the FDIC insurance runs on the same scheme?
  • Yes I read the article & passed it on. Why couldn't you pick up your account & move it to a new broker, thus starting out on new pot of money & full coverage ?
    Have a cool week, Derf
  • If you waited until a problem was obvious there wouldn't be any "pot of money" to transfer. Therefore any transfer would have to take place before the problem became known. How would that be managed? Crystal ball? Arbitrarily transferring your entire account every three months?
  • @Old_Joe: Brokerage going down the tubes would indeed be hard to predict. I was thinking more inline with trying to keep account fully insured . They're only going to pay on what is put into the account , not the interest or return. Net equity would start over every time you roll the account over, IMOA.
    Derf
  • Derf said:

@Old_Joe: Net equity would start over every time you roll the account over, IMOA. Derf

The only thing I could find on the internet was IMAO, not IMOA !