Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Gundlach Makes A Play For His Hometown NFL Team

Comments

• @Ted
    Suggest you move this link from fund discussion to off-topic.
    Regards,
    heezsafe
  • @heezsafe: Gundlach and his firm DoubleLine are associated with bond mutual funds.
    Regards, Its really a toss-up between OT & FD.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Thanks Ted. I've heard his name mentioned and if he keeps the team in Buffalo I'm all for it. You would think a net worth of a billion dollars would mean something, but when you are talking NFL franchises, multiple billions are apparently needed. Our greatest hope was that Mr. Buffalo Bill, Jim Kelly, was putting together a contingent to buy the Bills and secure their future in western NY. But his very sad battle with cancer has made that dream unlikely.

Ted, any room on da' Bears bandwagon... just in case I need a new team? I would never-ever support a team called the LA Bills or, God forbid, the Toronto Bills.
  • Never understood why a sport franchise would keep an unrelated and very insignificant surname when they move from that locale to another.

For example, the Minnesota "Lake-rs" move to LA where their source water is a 233 mile waterway. I guess the LA Aquaducts just doesn't work. Or the New Orleans Jazz move to Utah where Jazz is not the first type of music you hear on the radio in Provo, UT in the morning...maybe they should have gone with Utah (Mormon...maybe even Morewomen).

The Bills can only move to Billings, Montana where there still are Buffalo even though most are now Ted Turner's pets.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ted Lerner, owner of the Washington Nationals and possibly the richest owner in MLB, made/makes his money in commercial real estate. Not necessarily strict finance, but maybe close?

Wesley Edens and Marc Lasry are two hedge fund guys who just bought the Milwaukee Bucks.
  • Also looks like the owners of the Tampa Bay Lightning and Florida Panthers are former hedge fund guys. Insert jokes about hockey in Florida here.
  • Mr Ballmer of MSFT fame recently bought the LA Clippers.
  • TedTed
    edited July 2014
    @MFO Members: Jeffrey N. Vinik, former manager of Fidelity Magellan Fund, is the current owner of the Tampa Bay Lightning and the Tampa Bay Storm, as well as a minority owner of the Boston Red Sox. He is also on the board of directors for Liverpool Football Club of the Premier League
  • .......Which is surely the reason why that Liverpool soccer club comes from time to time to play games at Fenway Pahhhk.;)
  • Someone from Liverpool: betcha can't guess what they're called... (Wait for it....)
    LIVERPUDLIANS. Yup.
  • It matters. it is not OT. How much money Gundlach has in his funds we will never know because of the way fund ownership is reported in SAI. How many millions is he spending on the NFL team? If he is spending more on NFL team than in his funds, stands to reason where his real interest lies.

My only involvement with Gundlach is through RNDLX. And I will question that based on what he is doing.