Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Australia cans their carbon tax.

This was the main promise of PM Tony Abbott. I for one have never figured how a carbon tax would help the environment. There must be better ways.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-17/live-blog-coalition-in-bid-to-push-through-carbon-tax-repeal/5603830

Comments

• Here is a link from The Guardian which discusses that in detail.
  • From what I have gathered from television and from Aussies here, they are all for conservation and technology to help the environment. The tax was a sore point. The last PM promised no carbon tax and then promptly signed off on one which inevitably led to her demise. A lot of outside pressure including Al Gore and the local greenies have been screaming that the abolition of the carbon tax would deal a huge blow to the environment. That is where I see the disconnect. Some are just wanting to profit off this adventure.

Aussies pay quite a bit of tax now so this will help the individual and I don't think the oceans will rise six inches because of this action.

Just my opinion. The climate is going to do what it wants and we cannot do anything about it except adapt. Current processes like recycling and cutting down on pollutants etc are always beneficial no matter what the shape of the environment is in.
  • Don't forget about the "cap and trade" legislation.........this one was in the cooker when the "health care bill" was having birth; and did not receive much attention. It died, but is likely in a zombie form of life.
    Lots of cute stuff in this one. This link is only the first one I found with some info and links.............no affiliation to Mr., Posey or the web site or the political party.

http://posey.house.gov/issues/issue/?IssueID=5031

• This is mainly due to the fact that tax revenue, aka political power, was the primary driver, with the "cause" being completely secondary.