Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Champlain All Cap Advisor - CIPYX

Just FYI for Champlain fans. I have owned the CIPSX and CIPMX for sometime. So this was automatic for me. I was moving some assets and bought CIPYX yesterday when the market was down.

Needless to say I'll be monitoring their SAI next year since fund is new to make sure manager has skin in the game. Champlain has shown to be good fiduciary and I have confidence I will not be wrong. The fund is already up 10% this year. One can never time these things perfectly, but I expect to hold and DCA into for long haul.

Artisan, Bridgeway, champlain are only few fund families I'm prepared to do "large","mid","small" with. Else its all boutique funds for me and indexing / balanced in retirement accounts.

I'm VF and I approve this message.

Comments

• What I find interesting is that this all cap fund had no small caps
  • I view allcap as go anywhere. in other words, don't care:). Besides since I already own CIPSX and CIPMX, that's a good thing for me.
  • CIPSX and CIPMX are very tax inefficient, I guess good mostly for IRA.
  • No one went broke paying taxes.
  • VF,
    I've held CIPSX since 2006, and I was happy for a while (especially in '08!) but I have been thinking of selling as part of a general move to lower my equity exposure a little and consolidate into fewer funds. Could you give me the reasons why you're a Champlain fan? I'm sure your reasons are excellent, which is why I'd like to hear them in case they convince me to hold on and sell off another fund instead.

I haven't minded that CIPSX underperformed the wild bull over the past few years, but I am disappointed that in this year's mild downdraft for small caps it hasn't held up better. Downside protection is what it's supposed to be a good at. But hey, no one's perfect, and a few months and a few points of underperformance isn't a biggie in you believe in the management.
  • @VintageFreak; Your CIPSX is one wing away from becoming a turkey !

YTD: 60 Percentile
    One Year: 82 Percentile
    Three Year: 53 Percentile
    Five Year: 81 Percentile
    M* Snapshot Performance Of CIPSX: http://performance.morningstar.com/fund/performance-return.action?t=CIPSX&region=usa&culture=en-US

CIPSX Is Ranked # 115 In The (SCG) Category By U.S. News & World Report:
    http://money.usnews.com/funds/mutual-funds/small-growth/champlain-small-company-fund/cipsx
    You are also the guy who likes to pay fund managers a fee for holding 12 cents of every dollar you invest in cash.
    "Not seeing the problem. I one fund say I put 10K and put 5K in the bank. Or I put 15K in FPACX. What's the difference?"
    Regards,
    Ted

• I think I'll just quietly back out the door on this one.
  • edited July 2014
    CIPSX and CIPMX have average absolute performance, as noted above, but great Martins...making them both Great Owls...

Unfortunately, they charge too much given their AUM.
  • edited July 2014
    Thanks for cheering me up guys. For now I am sticking with all things Champlain. Hey I am sticking with Hussman too. There are certain things that go beyond numbers.

Also dare I repeat something that entirely no one pays attention too? When you buy not why you buy. I have owned champlains forever or luckily timed my buys right. I certainly don't sell because my funds dont lead the pack forever or ever.

Finally Ted, I am absolutely happy with the "guy I am". At least I am human.
  • TedTed
    edited July 2014
    @VintageFreak: Investing 101 classes begin this fall, I'll let you know the dates. First session, admitting when you make an investment mistake buy not selling.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • CIPSX's five year returns are below average, but since inception, as Charles's charts show, it's beaten the S&P by 2.8% a year with below average risk. According to M*, since inception on 11/30/2004, 10K in CIPSX has grown to $25,131, vs $19,581 for the average small growth fund and $20,535 for the S&P.

If like me, VF bought it near inception, it's done well for him. I think it's best to judge funds over a full market cycle, including a bear, and on that scale CIPSX has done well.

That said, I think there are better funds (and I have too many), but I'd have to take a big capital gains hit so I'm planning to sell it only when I decide to cut back on equities. But I'm nearing that moment...
  • edited July 2014
    Ted said:

@VintageFreak: Investing 101 classes begin this fall, I'll let you know the dates. First session, admitting when you make an investment mistake buy not selling.
    Regards,
    Ted

I renew my call to have an "Ignore" feature added to MFO. One setting to ignore new posts and another to ignore all posts. Simple to implement blocklists as cookies if nothing else, just like site preferences.
  • @VintageFreak: Ignore ! Why would we want to ignore you ?
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Well done VF.
  • Well done VF.

I'm not so sure. Sarcasm seems to be lost on most people. Mr. Einstein was given a Nobel Prize. Maybe we can figure what to award to give Mr. Linkenstein. Spammel award at best. The problem we have been facing some time now is not understanding the difference between Quality and Quantity. Or the difference between speaking and vomiting.

The child in me is still alive. Little did I know however I seem to be engaging with Children.
  • Sarcasm over the web is hard to understand. When is it sarcasm or when is it not? No sarc button to press.

As for that Spammel award, make it the generic variety with meat from all kinds of animals known and unknown.
  • edited July 2014
    A number of times I've suggested to David that the site would be easier to navigate if there was a separate category for links. David has replied that this would be technically pretty easy, but that he's not sure that it would be an improvement. For one thing, it would require the cooperation of link posters themselves (to correctly categorize their posts), which might be somewhat problematic with certain of the individuals involved. All I know is that sometimes there's one hell of a lot of link-posts with zero replies and a very small number of views, and it's a pain to wade through them all.

On the other hand (why does there always have to be "another hand"?) I do find a few of those links to be either interesting or informative.
  • Same here but it is very few. I may click on 20% on a good day. If there is a comment posted I will check that out.

Mostly it is the snide comments out of the blue that turn me off. The flag option is there but I reserve that for personal attacks of which there are extremely few here.
  • beebee
    edited July 2014
    VF,
    I have a personal admiration for all things Champlain. Lake Champlain is a worthy inspiration for an investment firm...much like Wasatch (the Wasatch Mountains) Funds. Wish they both charged a lot less for that inspiration.