Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Vanguard Faces Tax Evasion

FYI: Ex-employee alleges low-cost fund provider operated as an illegal tax shelter, avoided about $1 billion in taxes over 10 years.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.investmentnews.com/article/20140725/FREE/140729927?template=printart

Comments

• Quite surprising and unexpected. Will be interesting to see how this turns out.
  • Whistleblower or ex employee seeking revenge?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Maurice said:

The ER for flagship investors could go up 0.01%, if found guilty. You know how expense sensitive that crowd can be.

LOL
  • Whistleblower or ex employee seeking revenge?

Looks like the complaint was filed and sealed, and then he was fired. Which presents a whole new level of legal mess. Employee claims to have approached higher-ups about the issues, and that others left because of them.

One of the more interesting things to me is the timing of the release. 3:30 on a Friday afternoon is deliberately timed to avoid the news cycle and CNBC. WSJ and Reuters have picked it up, though no word on M* as of yet.

And you have at least to wonder about all those back-handed, cryptic comments Bogle has been known to give about current Vanguard management being different then when he was running the show.

taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2014/07/former-vanguard-tax-lawyer-.html
  • Wife and I hold less than 1% of portf. in Vanguard. I thought that fund family was something like a "gold standard." But I shouldn't be surprised at anything, anymore. Sucks.
  • Crash said:

I thought that fund family was something like a "gold standard."

Me too. And they still may be a gold standard. Let's await the results.
    The really unique thing about Vanguard is the mutual ownership structure. The owners of Vanguard are each and every person who is invested in a Vanguard mutual fund. It's essentially run as a not for profit firm. While the founders of Fidelity [and probably many other fund shops] got very wealthy, John Bogle did not......the Vanguard fund holders got the benefits of the amazingly low expense ratios. Bogle set it up that way, the mutual ownership.
  • I heard that, but never understood the essence of it until now. Thanks.....
  • edited July 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.