Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Research Paper: Determining The Optimal Fixed Annuity For Retirees: Immediate Versus Deferred

FYI: This paper contrasts the relative efficiency of single premium immediate annuities (SPIAs) and deferred income annuities (DIAs) for a variety of retirement scenarios. The analysis considers not only traditional nominal SPIAs and DIAs, but also includes variations with inflation riders and period certain benefits.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.onefpa.org/journal/Pages/AUG14-Determining-the-Optimal-Fixed-Annuity-for-Retirees-Immediate-versus-Deferred.aspx

Comments

• If you like this kind of papers here's more research by David Blanchett referred to in Ted's link:

davidmblanchett.com/research
  • All these fancy schmancy annuities. I still think if you go that route nothing beats an immediate fixed annuity. I mean it sounds crazy (at least to me as a 67 year old male) for a 65 year old male to buy something that doesn't kick in until they turn 85 in 20 years. I don't know many 85 year old males. Albeit one guy in my Asheville hiking group is 84 and still goes on 10+ mile hikes several times during the week.