Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Nifty. A 15-year time-period is hardly ever shown. So, a REIT--- and VANGUARD, no less, at the top. Go figure.
  • This has very little to do with Vanguard, in any way. The nature of the REIT market. The fund is almost matched by its index (now, that's impressive), but beaten slightly by FRESX, significantly by FREAX, and pounded by CGMRX. I myself am in FREAX instead.

It is almost as though this article is a strong case for active management, if you hang in.

When you graph the last 6 years --- now there's a ride --- you see it has been beaten by Nuveen, matched by Fido, and beaten Heebner. With a smidgen of dip protection for those ~60% dips. Still, back to breakeven in a bit over 2y, except for CGMRX.
  • Looks as though CSRSX would be a good NTF option to your FREAX with it's load and higher ER (.97 vs 1.25).

• TedTed
    edited August 2014
    @MFO Members: What's also interesting to note is how Mid & Small Cap Indexes have outperformed the S&P 500 on average over the 15 year time period.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Bee, thanks, but no load/fee through ML (I never buy anything with a load or fee).
    Don't ever pay attention to ER if performance makes up for it. I had to change Yackt funds at Fido, I think it was, because they strangely changed the fee.
  • beebee
    edited August 2014
    Is this a buying opportunity for VTMSX or the start of a retracement? Seems to me it's running above its longer term channel. One could argue it maybe reestablishing the original channel so by extending the 10 year channel out 15 years VTMSX would have some room to move.

Acknowledment: Charts sometimes fart (don't always work). I just thought this mutual fund made a nice picture!

On the topic of gas...love GASFX 15 year chart!

Thanks for link Ted.

Here's my take: