Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

ASG Diversifying Strategies Fund has liquidated

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/52136/000119312514302109/d771285d497.htm

497 1 d771285d497.htm NATIXIS FUNDS TRUST II
ASG DIVERSIFYING STRATEGIES FUND

Supplement dated August 8, 2014 to the ASG Diversifying Strategies Fund Class A, C and Y Prospectus and the Natixis Funds Statement of Additional Information, each dated May 1, 2014, as may be revised and supplemented from time to time.

On August 8, 2014, the ASG Diversifying Strategies Fund (the “Fund”) was liquidated.

The Fund no longer exists, and as a result, shares of the Fund are no longer available for purchase or exchange.

Comments

• MFO Members: DSFAX performance numbers, bad, tell why this fund has died. As I have said in the past we could get rid of about 7,009 more, and never miss them.
    Regards,
    Ted.
    http://performance.morningstar.com/fund/performance-return.action?t=DSFAX&region=usa&culture=en-US
  • edited August 2014
    Wasn't this the fund that was the focus of the Josh Brown article a few months back?

Edited: Yes, it was.

http://www.thereformedbroker.com/2014/05/28/brokers-liquid-alts-and-the-fund-that-never-goes-up/
  • Yeah, I lost my shirt with this fund (part of my Alternatives Sleeve), saw Andy Lo on Consuela Mack show several times. Might be a great professor, talks a great story, but managed to lose money in all market environments. Makes you wonder what the Phd standard at the Federal Reserve has in store for us.
  • May the demise of this brilliant fund serve as downlifting inspiration to the many other zombie funds staggering around the landscape. (Psst--- just let go, you'll feel so much better when you do, as will your investors, so much better).
  • @Scott, I was thinking the same thing.

Does this mean I should be careful about DoubleLIne Shiller CAPE fund? It is based on another Nobel laureate, Robert Shiller's CAPE index...
  • kanmani said:

Yeah, I lost my shirt with this fund (part of my Alternatives Sleeve), saw Andy Lo on Consuela Mack show several times. Might be a great professor, talks a great story, but managed to lose money in all market environments. Makes you wonder what the Phd standard at the Federal Reserve has in store for us.

The problem is too much thought, I think. You can make the case that the fund wasn't transparent - I don't know, I didn't really look at it much.

However, the long-short funds that were based on fundamentals and other such things rather than just going with momentum and what was/is working are the ones that haven't done well. I'm guessing that this fund by Lo made moves on various theories and fundamentals and had the performance it did. At the core, it's sort of like what's happening with Hussman, although Lo's fund was probably largely automated based on various "rules".