Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

"Strategically" speaking...Funds with the word strategic in them

beebee
edited August 2014 in Fund Discussions
Today I was reviewing Wasatch's Strategic Income (WASIX) fund and I realized there are a lot of funds with the word strategic in them. There's even a mutual fund company named after this term (Strategic Advisors), but they don't have any strategic funds. Hmm.

Here are a few Stategic Income funds:
OSTIX - Osterweiss Strategic Income
FSICX - Fidelity Strategic Income
NEFZX - Loomis Sayles Strategic Income
TSIIX - Thornburg Strategic Income

Then there's are also:
VSEQX - Vanguard Strategic Equity

What's your take on this fund descriptor?

The only thing that seems consistent with all of these strategic funds is the use of the word strategic.

Comments

• Meh. So many funds aren't strategic in the slightest. They're just fully long 24/7/365 and if it's a bad year, it's not their fault.
  • Maybe their strategy is simply to maximize AUM?
  • It makes me think there's at least one and likely more sales and marketing guys sitting in some back office coming up with names like "Strategic" Income. If the fund dropped the name, fired the sales and marketing guys and reduced the management fee, we'd all be better off.
  • Strategic is the new Tactical.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I never thought about it bee. Certainly sounds like the new marketing buzz word. Don't forget about one of the new MFO darlings_ RSIVX. I just bought into that one the other day.
  • edited August 2014
    From my understanding tactical strategies are designed to target near term opportunity while strategic strategies are geered more to the mid to longer term look. In addition, tactical strategies have more flexability with their allocation over strategic which seems to be more defined.

Old_Skeet
  • edited August 2014
    http://www.everythingzoomer.com/strategic-versus-tactical-asset-allocation/#.U-1dSLl0yF0

"Strategic asset allocation is an investment theory based on the principles of a Nobel prize winning dissertation. At the inception of the portfolio, a base policy mix is established, founded on expected returns and risk. Then the asset class mixes are rebalanced to target weights according to the original mix, usually at regular intervals such as monthly or quarterly, to maintain a long-term goal for asset allocation.

In other words, there is no attempt on the part of the managers to purposely deviate from the original determined weights. The emphasis is on preserving the fixed weights because they ultimately relate to a larger performance objective based on historical data.

Tactical Asset Allocation
    The objective of tactical asset allocation is to move among various asset classes within a risk-controlled framework to seek to create an additional source of return. An attempt is made to take advantage of short and intermediate term market inefficiencies as a means of managing investors’ exposure to market risk.

Managers normally do this by evaluating the relative attractiveness of equity and fixed income markets through financial valuation, growth and sentiment measures. They will then use a systematic process to evaluate the different asset classes.

The investment philosophy is usually based on the belief that investor psychology and market forces can lead to periods of misevaluation. A tactical allocation process attempts to capture these misevaluations. It is not a fixed asset weight mix and the allocation and the risk level of a portfolio may change quite dramatically."
  • I was thinking back a few years when "tactical" seemed to be the buzz word in investor circles. I actually didn't know there was a difference in meaning between tactical and strategic, or tactic and strategy.

Thanks for the references.
  • The key words up there are "expected returns and risk", and "attempts to capture".

As in: "I sometimes attempt to capture misevaluations, but consistently misjudge expected returns and risk.":-)
  • edited August 2014
    It is marketing. To me it just means "different" than AMCO Mid Cap Growth. MoJo Strategic Map Growth means they have a strategy. That strategy is to charge you higher ER while underperforming those funds that allegedly do not have any strategy. Or as George Bush would say "Strategery".

I trust none of us buys any fund because they see the word Strategic in the name. The irony is sometimes good fund manager may have to use some qualifier to distinguish one fund from another. e.g. Riverpark uses Strategic for its Cohanzick income funds.

It is quite funny how GMO uses I, II, III to denote separate funds. What will be really funny is if GMO has GMO Value, GMO Value 1, GMO Value II, GMO Value III, and then GMO Strategic Value I, GMO Strategic Value II, and so on. Just in case this is true, I'm sealing all my windows tight so if I get the urge to jump out one of them, I'm not able. My family needs Vintage Freak. There is only Vintage Freak I, there is no Vintage Freak II, or Vintage Freak Strategic. I hasten to add, this was not a Tactical decision either, but how nature intended it to be.
  • There is only Vintage Freak I, there is no Vintage Freak II, or Vintage Freak Strategic. I hasten to add, this was not a Tactical decision either, but how nature intended it to be.

That's pretty funny...now I'm gonna spend the rest of the night thinking about the word vintage...vintage wine, vintage automobiles, vintage books, vintage clothing...

Sorry, but Vintage Fund management is already taken:
    vintage-vfm.com/

• Vintage, you could be one if the first. We need another mutual fund among the several thousand already running.

The Vintage Tactical Strategy Fund.
  • Sign me up!! With a name like that it's gotta be good!
  • edited August 2014
    Strategy or Strategic funds.....

Scroll down a bit to the Mutual Funds listings.....a whole bunch; in spite of redundant class types.

https://www.google.com/finance?q=strategic+fund&ei=yXftU5j0KoekqwGmooCYDA
  • "Opportunity" is another vaguely suggestive marketing title.
  • Strategic Opportunities Tactical Unconstrained Fund.
  • edited August 2014

Strategic Opportunities Tactical Unconstrained Fund.

I'm in.
    Maybe you could add the words "Total Return" between "Unconstrained" and "Fund"
  • A decent quick distinction between tactics and strategy is to imagine you are in a building about to be bombed.Strategy tells you to decide to get out of and far away from the building.Tactics addresses whether to exit through the door or the window or the underground tunnel.
  • Yes, total return would be the icing on the cake.

Thanks Jerry for the explanation. I learned something new today.
  • But why does it have to be one or the other, when it's possible to have both? From today's TheShadow post, on a new fund's registration: Catalyst Tactical Hedged Futures Strategy Fund. [in 3 yrs, perhaps a fund only a mother could love?]

@VintageFreak So, based on your musings, are we to assume there is nothing "strategic" in your modus operadi ('cause you'll have none of that; 'cause you're au natural)? Ha, viva la difference--- Haute Vintage! ;) Cat's out of the bag.
  • It would be fun to be the fly on the wall in the meeting where they decide on a name for a new fund. Today's offerings have to have a buzz word or catch phrase in order to attract investors. Tactical, strategy, hedged, looks like Catalyst decided on all three.
  • edited August 2014
    heezsafe said:

But why does it have to be one or the other, when it's possible to have both? From today's TheShadow post, on a new fund's registration: Catalyst Tactical Hedged Futures Strategy Fund. [in 3 yrs, perhaps a fund only a mother could love?].

I think it's another attempt to market a hedge fund strategy in a mutual fund format. There is a marketing aspect at play, absolutely, but I think it's also this idea that these hedge fund strategies can translate to a mutual fund that is also incorrect. How tactical/nimble can a mutual fund really be? That's my question.

This is a terrible example, but it's like slapping a Lamborghini label on a Fiat Jolly (which was featured on one of this season's "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee" episodes - http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com/louis-c-k-comedy-sex-and-the-blue-numbers) and then wondering why its slow, not at all nimble, has wicker freaking seats, looks generally ridiculous and generally isn't anything like a Lamborghini. The investment version of the Fiat Jolly appears to offer as much protection as the real one, which...has no doors.

I still think alternative funds have a lot of potential, but presenting funds as nimble sportscars that turn out to be something resembling a golf cart for everyday use is not helping the category.
  • edited August 2014
    Actually, the newer variation is "Strategery" - coined during a SNL parody of former President George W. Bush by comedian Will Ferrell. Here's the Wikipedia story.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategery

In the investment world I think "strategic" can mean about anything they want. But it may carry an underlying connotation that they are smarter and know more than you do. To me it's a little like some of the go-anywhere funds. You pay a manager a little extra to guess which way various market components (stocks, commodities, Treasuries, etc.) will move in the future.

One problem with that approach is that most of us have become very short-term focused nowadays. So, a manager might be "strategically" correct looking 5-10 years ahead and yet see investors flee his fund well before than if it doesn't produce solid near term returns - especially in comparison to whatever market segment(s) are currently hot.