Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Getting a PC and could use a little advice

edited November 2011 in Off-Topic
I am basically a Mac person but I could use a PC to make exchanging documents with my clients a little smoother. Ergo I am going to get one and the choices are bewildering to say the least. I understand as much as I need to now about processor chips and RAM memory but it's the rest of the stuff that boogles me. Do I go with a Blu-ray combo drive or a 16x DVD...? I'm thinking the Blu-ray would only be useful for watching movies on my computer which I don't do, nor do I expect to, but like I said I don't know. Do I need some super graphics card if I don't generate much in the way of graphic type things? What about sound cards? I don't play computer games if that helps lower the number of choices.

Also, I'm aware of all the snarky problems with IE but yet it seems to be what most people use for web browsing or at least what most web pages are primarily designed for. A lot of folks I know swear by Firefox and lately Google Chrome but they both say certain pages just won't load or that they have to do a lot more clicking to get what they want. I don't think that I want to load all 3 on my computer but if any of you techies out there can steer me I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, Mark

Comments

• I think if this isnt a primary computer and you are just looking for something to communicate with clients and do other basic tasks, you may want to consider looking at the refurbished computers via HP or other manufacturers directly, or via maybe something like Amazon Warehouse Deals.

• Hi, Mark.

Chip, who does IT for a living, will likely drop by later today with a few thoughts. Here's what pops into my head:

1. you can run Windows on a Mac, which might give you the best of both worlds - the machine and OS you like for 90% of your work and a little Microsoft ghetto for the other 10%.

2. it's almost impossible to buy a PC that won't do exactly what you want. That is, the hardware on the lowest-end machines (my netbook, for instance) can easily handle anything short of high end graphics (movies, live action games and so on). The one thing I would look for is a "dual-core" processor which is a lot like having two processors running side-by-side and splitting up the workload.

3. some versions of Windows 7 are better configured for file sharing than others. This is the point where the professionals would need to express and opinion.

4. most websites are configured to accommodate most browsers. When Brad Isbell first set up the Observer, for example, he ran compatibility checks on browsers so obscure (Dolphin) that I'd never heard of them. The exceptions tend to be Microsoft's own sites, where alternate browsers find a very limited welcome.

5. the biggest issue in the transition might be security. Windows-based machines are much more frequently, and much more successfully, targeted than are Macs. You need to install, activate and update two sets of security programs: an anti-malware program (my college and, perhaps, Chip's both support MBAM) and an anti-virus program. Do not, however, think that "more is better." Anti-virus programs can fight with one another and dramatically slow your machine, so find and use precisely one good program in each category. There are high quality free programs available, and decent ratings of them at places like Consumer Reports.

For what it's worth,

David
  • Let me piggyback on this thread and ask -- is there a preferred backup software you all would recommend?

I bought a new Lenovo notebook computer. It keeps prompting me to specify either Lenovo Backup or Microsoft Backup as my default backup software. I've never used a backup product, and so haven't a clue as how to evaluate either.

Thanks very much.

D.S.
  • edited November 2011
    'Morning, Mark and Shost-

From long, long experience: before you contemplate buying backup software or hardware you need to sort out two things: 1) What exactly, do you want to back up, and 2) how, where and why do you want to keep that backup information?

My experience is on a Mac, but what I am going to address is of a generic nature. I have had software apps that backed up just certain types of files (that is, you tell the app what particular folders or file types that you want to back up). I found that that type of approach to be cumbersome and pesty.

For the past few years I have gone a different route: Backup everything, and don't worry about it. Now though, once that decision is made, you will need to deal with the "how and where", but to make a rational decision, you need to first consider the "why": exactly what dangers/possibilities are you trying to insure against? Loss by machine malfunction? Fire? Theft? All of the above? (Yes, that was a "run-on" sentence back there, and to hell with it.)

Machine malfunction: If your main concern is hard drive or other mechanical/electronic failure, then I suggest that simply installing an additional hard drive: internal, if your machine has the capability, or external. There are software apps available for the Mac (and I would have to believe also for Windows) that simply copy the entirety of your main hard drive onto a second hard drive. Simple and very effective. Note that (on the Mac, at least) you cannot simply "copy and paste" to do this- there are certain operating system files that are not to be copied, and other system files that need special handling. The same may well be true for Windows machinery.

You can run the Backup App either automatically at assigned times, or more simply manually, at your discretion. For example, I have two identical internal hard drives, and I usually backup weekly, on Friday. The beauty of this setup is that if data on your main drive becomes corrupted, all that you need to do is copy the backup drive back to the main drive and you are in business.

The backup software that I use has, basically, two main modes: To effect a transfer of the main drive data to the backup, you can entirely erase the backup drive first, and then make the transfer. Actually, the very first time that you do this you are starting with an empty backup drive, so that is what happens. You will immediately notice that this transfer process takes a very long time. Do you really want to go through this every time that you backup?

The other approach, and this is really the beauty of the backup software app, is that after that first backup, for all successive backups you have the option to only transfer data and files that are different on the main drive from those already on the backup drive. This takes only a fraction of the time needed to completely erase and recopy everything... typically on my Mac, about 15 minutes.

OK, you are now insured against drive failure. What about fire or theft?

Same basic approach: There are small self-contained external hard drives designed exactly for this purpose. In addition to backing up to my standby internal drive, I also back up, usually weekly also, to one of these small portable drives, and each Friday take it to our weekend house for safekeeping. I have two of these portable drives, and simply alternate between them each week. If our house in San Francisco burns down, after committing suicide all that would be necessary to restore would be to buy a new computer, plug in the external drive, transfer that data to the new computer's main internal drive, and that's it. By the way, when I say "plug in", the data is transferred between your internal and external drives by USB cable (or Firewire, if so equipped).

Downloading and installing new applications is sometimes a crapshoot. More than once have I done so only to wish that I had never done it. With the setup that I have described, before you download or install anything that you are not entirely certain about, first make your backup. Then do your install. At this point the only difference between the two drives is that new install. If it doesn't work out, and creates problems, simply copy the backup drive back to the main drive, and everything is cool... you're back where you started. Essentially, with respect to software, your hard drive is your computer. Having two completely independent drives is really like having two computers available to you.

One other note: above I mentioned installing a second internal drive, if your machine has the capacity. The benefits of that are:
    • your backup will be immediately available simply by restarting on that second drive.
    • when you are backing up the data transfer will most likely be faster than to an external drive.

This is just one approach to the backup issue, hardware intensive, but very easy to maintain, and almost foolproof. You may very well hear of some other approaches from other posters, but now you can evaluate the approach against what it is that you want to protect.

Regards- OJ
  • edited November 2011
    Mark- I notice that you have a Mac... if you want specific info as to possible hardware sources, let me know. The backup software that I use is "SuperDuper", and it really is a cool easy-to-use piece of work.

Shost- With luck other posters may be able to suggest a good Windows backup application.

OJ
  • Hi, Shostakovich.

I have a Lenovo netbook and the thing I most dislike is the default backup function. There's a partitioned Q: drive on mine with 10 GB of space, 7 GB of which are invisible. Dang thing is forever (once every two weeks) running out of space to store multiple back-ups. When that happens, it pops up an annoying message once every 10 minutes. (Imagine me growling at about this point.)

There are a bunch of on-line discussions by other Lenovo owners, much of which comes down to "do risky technical stuff." When I raised the suggestion with Chip, she suggested I needed to quick head examination.

In general, I'd suggest investing in an external backup system. They're relatively inexpensive, small and come with their own software. If you one day drive a wooden stake through the center of your notebook, you'd still have the data.

Just a non-tech guy's thoughts.

David
  • edited November 2011
    Hi David- I'm with Chip... what the hell good is a partition? If the drive goes south the partition goes with it! (Let's hope that China's defense ministries are using the Lenovo scheme!)

OJ
  • As David has noted you can run Windows on OSX. There is bootcamp which allows you to boot Windows or OSX. There are Virtual Machines. Apple sells Parallels. VmWare has VMWare Fusion. Both are not took expensive but you will also have to buy the OS to run in them as well. VM is probably easier to setup.

I have Fusion on mac work MacBook Pro but do not boot windows it is a drag with 4GB memory. People report better experience with 8GB. You may be able to upgrade memory (on MBP it requires removing around 10 screws to access the memory slots)

If you do not have a recent Mac that can run these, you better invest in a cheap PC Laptop. I also own an Acer Core i3 Laptop (13" screen) and I bought my wife a Lenova Laptop with second generation Core i5 processor (14" screen). I believe 13-14" is best for portability but still having a decent resolution and full keyboard. I've used a netbook before I think netbook size is now replaced by tablets.

I like her Lenova E420 with large Mac like touchpad better than my own Acer one. I've customized Lenova on their website so I picked a better wireless card, matte screen (as opposed to shiny ones), camera, bluetooth, a better Wifi card that can operate in 5Ghz band w/802.11n. There are good preconfigured ones to satisfy most needs on Amazon.com and they are a bit cheaper than my configuration.

I think Second Generation Core i3 is probably sufficient for your needs. You can possibly wait for Black friday discounts. A decent one could be obtained around $450-650.

These modern laptops run Windows 7 which is I believe is on par pretty much with OSX, if not better.
  • "if not better"... watch it there, Investor,

:>[
  • edited November 2011

Get somebody's old computer for free and load Ubuntu Linux Operating System on it,
  • edited November 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply to @Old_Joe: Hey I am actually very fair. I love the Mac Book Pro and Mac Book Air hardware. They are well designed with attention to finer details such as magnetic power connection, lovely touchpad etc.

However, OS is now a different story. It used to be that MacOS had an edge on Windows. Not really anymore. Given that I use Mac OSX, Windows 7 and Linux day in day out, I can say they are pretty much on par, at least from corporate functions point of view.

I am currently using Snow Leopard, Lion is available with iPad like interface. I am not sure that is the appropriate interface for a laptop. Many people think that it is a step backwards. Windows 8 is also going to implement something like that as far as I understand. Oh well...

In terms of ease of use, both are pretty usable. I find some things easier to do on Windows 7 and other better on OSX. Given that you pay twice as much for OSX machine, Windows 7 on quality made hardware is a good alternative.
  • Mark,

You've already gotten plenty of great advice, but let me add just a couple of things.

1. If you want to, you can keep using just your Mac. You can follow any of the options Investor offered. Also, for most software, there's some method to convert the files for your PC-using clients. If you'd care to share what type of files give you trouble, I'll try to find some easy solutions.

2. If you do decide to purchase a PC, it sounds like you only need a basic model. Laptop or desktop is really a matter of personal preference. I like a desktop for serious work and a laptop for casual surfing. You don't need a Blue ray drive, and the basic sound will probably be fine for you. I'd try to find a reputable brand, and I'd avoid a refurbished model if you've never really used a PC before.

3. Security will be important for you. We've been recommending the built in Windows firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials to students at my college. Believe me, they click on everything. For the most part, the students that listen have been trouble free. If they notice anything acting slow or quirky, we recommend a scan with MBAM (MalwareBytes Anti-Malware). Both Security Essentials and MBAM are free downloads.

4. Web browsers are also mostly a matter of personal preference. I personally prefer to have three or four loaded on my PC.

Happy shopping!

chip
  • Yeah, I know that your right... the newer Windows machinery works just about as well as a Mac- it ought to: it took them fifteen years or so. Just giving you a hard time. Be good...
  • In a PC you also need an Anti-Virus program. I like McAfee anti-virus and it is also used in our corporate environment on PCs. Intel recently acquired McAfee company. There are some free anti-virus as well but I prefer to spend a few bucks on this software. Buy.com often has great discounts on McAfee.

http://www.buy.com/prod/mcafee-total-protection-2011-1-user/217148046.html

• Mark,

Please check with your internet service provider who often provide free anti-virus software to their customers. We get Norton Security Suite from Comcast.
  • Mark,

Another thought, too; is too determine whether the "software" drivers are compatible or may be updated for any devices you having been using with your Mac. These would include, but not limited to: printers, a scanner, digital camera, etc.

Regards,

The other Mark/Catch
  • edited November 2011
    Damned fine "catch", Catch! Should have thought of that myself. Brother, can that issue cause headaches!! Mark that as caught, Catch/Mark. (What??)
  • Reply to @Old_Joe: I don't think Mark has problems running his Mac. So driver update etc. is not going to help.

It is the general app. compatibility issues with users of Windows. Although Office 2011 for Mac made this a little less of a problem (previous one Office 2008 for Mac was way behind Office 2003 for Windows), still not everything looks and works exactly like on PC where the document is originated. Conversely when Mark prepares a document using tools on his Mac, PC users will probably not going to be able to open those files easily (if at all).

Even with Office 2011, there are some issues. Outlook in Office 2011 still cannot connect to Exchange server using the native protocol (with integrated Calendar handling) unless the corporation has upgrade to Exchange Server 2010. There is no Access database or Visio for Mac either. You need to deal with some Mac software that tries to import/export the formats and they do not do a very good job.

There are still web sites that only work with Internet Explorer. These are way too common in corporate intranets.

A lot of corporate IM, VoIP etc. applications do not have Mac equivalents.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.