Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Prices At The Pump Still Falling

FYI: While gas prices typically are elevated during the summer driving season, consumers have been getting a break (at least relatively speaking) so far in 2014. According to AAA, the national average price of a gallon of gas this weekend was $3.45, which represents a decline of 6.5% from this year's high of just under $3.70 per gallon which was reached in late April.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.bespokeinvest.com/thinkbig/2014/8/18/prices-at-the-pump-still-falling.html?printerFriendly=true

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • That heat map is interesting and it confirms what I have heard, that the prices in WA state have been high.
  • edited August 2014
    Not that I enjoy paying taxes any more than most, but Maurice's post (above) is illustrative of the problem with respect to highway maintenance. In those states which designate fuel tax as the main component of their highway maintenance funding, that funding source is being substantially depleted as we obtain newer vehicles with greatly improved gas mileage.

(Note to MJG: That's definitely IMHO, whether you like it or not.)

If Mo is obtaining a 26% improvement in mileage, then he is also contributing 26% less towards maintaining the driving infrastructure in his state. Multiply Mo x all of the others in similar circumstances. Not to be original, folks, but there is absolutely positively no free lunch. If we want highways and bridges, we damn well have to be willing to pay for them.

If not, it will be interesting to see what kind of mileage we eventually get over dirt or gravel ruts, and as we re-learn how to ford streams.
  • In WA state years ago, it was common knowledge that the gas tax went to the maintenance and building of roads and highways. We even had signs at the construction sites that said "Your Tax Dollars at Work".

Over time the state government started to dip into the highway fund to supplement the general fund. Eventually they changed the law so that all gas tax revenue went into the general fund. The years that followed saw the roads deteriorate and no new roads were being built. Eventually the public outcry became such that a issue was put before the voters for a 5¢ a gallon gas tax that would purely be for roads and highways. It was passed by the voters as we needed to build highways and roads desperately. But as fate would have it, it was soon discovered that this extra money was also going to the general fund.

Now we have private firms in WA state who put in toll devices for some of the bridges and roads. They get a cut for the installation and running of the system. The state gets the rest. Where does that money go? Into the general fund of course.

Our tax dollars used to go to infrastructure based projects until social spending took over. Drug addicts get free syringes and needles. Homeless people get a place to sleep. Lots of social programs to take care if those who apply. Our roads, highways and bridges are falling apart and anyone here who lives in the Seattle area knows how bad the traffic situation is.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
  • John- I well understand the games which governments routinely play with our money, which is why my comments are predicated on "In those states which designate fuel tax as the main component of their highway maintenance funding".
  • @Old_Joe,

I saw where you were coming from. I was trying to make the statement for both sides. Your state can easily change the rules tomorrow and do exactly what WA state did.

Another factor, albeit a small one is the tax credits given to electric vehicles and such. If they use the roads they should be taxed. One idea floated around was to tax by miles driven. That might mean a stop to the local DMV for the official odometer reading. I don't know how wake they can do that without a tracking device.

WA state and I'm sure others too has started a program where as the HOV lanes are pay as you go. The rate will depend on demand as traffic congestion increases. There are periodic signs that have the current rate displayed. All one needs is the windshield transponder gadget. As rush hour starts the rates go up.

I would check with your state to verify that the fuel taxes are indeed going into a highway fund or into the general fund from which appropriations are taken.
  • John- re the "miles driven" concept, every idea I've seen on that so far involves the government getting ever deeper into tracking the activities of it's citizens- that be us! And I don't like that one little bit. But you're right- the gradual integration of electric vehicles is certainly going to pose new problems for the maintenance side of things. How come things never get any easier as we make these wonderful technological advances?
  • A lot of water went over the dam in this discussion & I'll add to it.
    A local technical college ran referendum to raise cash for upkeep,maintenance raises,etc. The main problem with this referendum , they wanted their cake & wanted to eat it every year. Once passed the money was to be provide every year without asking for it, no more asking the tax payers to pony up Did it pass, no way in hell !!
    Gas tax seems to be another honey pot. Robing the road fund for the purpose of supplying the general fund with a few extra dollars just doesn't seem right in my book.

Tax the tax, Derf
  • Louisiana has a similar problem. Oil taxes used to only be used to fund education. Until the second half of the 1900s it had one of the better public school systems in the country. Now those taxes go to the general fund, and the school systems are 'challenged.' Moral? Don't let money go to the general fund. Social Security included