Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Homeowners hanging onto mortgages in their latter years.

It once was thought that a house should be paid off before one retired. That is changing.

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2014-08-28/boomer-wealth-depressed-by-mortgages-poses-u-s-spending-risk.html

Another though to this is that families are deciding to keep houses in the family so having a mortgage later does not have the same impact.

Comments

• I just reviewed my credit report and 80% of my monthly debt is associated with my home in the form of a first mortgage (4%/30yrs) and home equity (3%/15 yrs). I recently took out a first mortgage on my (free and clear) home and used the cash to purchase a (free and clear) retirement property. I will eventually sell or rent the first property, but in the meantime I feel as though I am shuffling the credit/equity deck in my favor.

Rates are low and having cash allowed the deal on the second home to go through smoothly.

I make my own coffee, don't smoke, love to cook (eat in), don't subscribe to cable and I take these savings and pay my mortgage. Works for me!
  • Sounds like a plan! Congrats.

OJ