Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Five Religion Funds For Faith-Based Investors

TedTed
edited August 2014 in Fund Discussions
FYI: Mutual funds that practice faith-based investing may be no more exciting than a font of still holy water or the worn cover of a Koran. But over the years, these funds have proved that you don’t have to sacrifice your spiritual values when it comes to investing.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.kiplinger.com/printstory.php?pid=12726

Comments

• Very spotty and selective filters used. The truth is, there is no "clean" money.
  • The Ave Maria funds seem to be well run but my thought has always been to not mix religion with investing and instead use or give some of your profits for the greater good how you may see fit.
  • The Ave Maria funds seem to be well run but my thought has always been to not mix religion with investing and instead use or give some of your profits for the greater good how you may see fit.

I'm inclined to agree.
    Look at what Buffett has done. He's giving his fortune away to charity/philanthropy, but he hasn't invested in a way that JohnChisum described as 'mix(ing) religion with investing.'
  • ..........On the other hand.......If one's religion (if any) doesn't impact major decisions like investing, is it not just a hobby? We all do our best to profit from investing. It's the only game in town. I long ago admitted to myself that "business" and "ethics" --- to the extent that religion includes ethical considerations--- are mutually exclusive. It's simply the nature of predatory capitalism. Every day, I hope the Markets do well. And every day, I shake my head in disgust.
  • If someone is religious, then what they learn from their religion is applied to all aspects of life. This depends on how devout they are and this widely varies. So you have a point @Crash.

Using the Ave Maria funds again as an example some peacenik types might not care for the funds as they invest in defense related stocks.

Nothing is ever cut and dried.
  • edited September 2014
    Sure enough.
  • I'm surprised it didn't mention Matthew 25 MXXVX. That one has a pretty solid long term record.