Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Kopernik Global All-Cap

This is a little old and I hope it wasn't posted previously. I found it a very interesting read about not only the current state of the U.S. market but the Russian market as well, which apparently has seen some interest of late.

kopernikglobal.com/sites/default/files/THE%20SADDLE%20RIDGE%20HOARD.pdf

Comments

• I need to be very much aware of confirmation-bias. Other than that, not a word out of me.....
  • Why does David Iben sound familiar?
  • @VintageFreak, here's a link to the M* article that gives a good amount of detail about David Iben. After reading the M* article I went to his website to find out more about the fund and enjoyed the commentary that I linked. I find most fund manager commentaries disappointing because they tend to tell you what made money and what lost money, but they don't often tell you what they actually think about the businesses they invest in and even less about how their view of the big picture impacts their investments. In this case I was pleased to find a commentary that told me far more about how Iben thinks and invests than the fact that his positions in Russia are detracting from his performance this year.

news.morningstar.com/articlenet/article.aspx?id=663563
  • And while I'm certainly not in the business of recommending funds I think I figured out that Schwab offers this fund with the load waived, TD Ameritrade and Fidelity don't and its not available at E*Trade. I didn't check any others.
  • edited August 2014
    LLJB said:

And while I'm certainly not in the business of recommending funds I think I figured out that Schwab offers this fund with the load waived, TD Ameritrade and Fidelity don't and its not available at E*Trade. I didn't check any others.

Thanks LLJB. I remember now. I was researching buying the Nuveen Tradewinds funds when I heard about his departure. Good to know it is available load waived (I'm assuming NTF as well) at Schwab. Sounds like a fund to keep on my "WHEN vs WHAT" buy list. Hopefully Iben owns tons of his fund.
  • He had a great record at Nuveen and I like managers who "earn" their money by having broad mandates that they utilize successfully. I don't have an account at Schwab and I have never bought a fund with a front-end load and hopefully never will. But I like a lot about what I've learned so far and I'll keep researching and considering whether there's a reasonable way to fit it into my plans.
  • LLJB said:

He had a great record at Nuveen and I like managers who "earn" their money by having broad mandates that they utilize successfully. I don't have an account at Schwab and I have never bought a fund with a front-end load and hopefully never will. But I like a lot about what I've learned so far and I'll keep researching and considering whether there's a reasonable way to fit it into my plans.

Well if you don't have to pay the load and the fund is NTF, then it is the same thing. I confirmed it is indeed available load waived and NTF at Schwab.

Also as I have mentioned many times before, THIS is how I want to "diversify". Non corelated assets instead of traditional Large Cap, Mid Cap, Small Cap allocation with X% Domestic and Y% international. No point investing with active manager if you are going to do the latter - just do indexing.

Many thanks for bringing this fund to my attention.