Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

September will post around dinner time

Which I mention against the prospect that you're wondering about investments rather than spending time on the really important stuff: families and profound meditations on the implications of the newly set NFL rosters.

David

Comments

• @MFO Members: While we meditate on the new set of NFL rosters waiting for David's Commentary, let's have a little music on this Labor Day Holiday.
    Happy Labor Day,
    Ted
    Down On The Corner: Creedence Clearwater Rivival

NFL Rosters:
    http://www.nfl.com/players/search?category=team
  • edited September 2014
    thx David and the MFO members [Ted/vintage, and many others jason, rono...etc etc .....] for all the wonderful works/almost 'free' advise available at MFO. Please do contribute regular to MFO. thx again/appreciate everything you folks do
  • @Ted I saw the Sept article. I'm waiting for your take.
  • All 26,000 readers must have hit the site when the commentary went up. I couldn't get in for about ten minutes. The price of popularity.

As always, an excellent read.
  • Hi, John.

That was intensely frustrating. We had modest traffic - about 60 people on site - and the site seizes up for the first time in nearly two months. Chip spoke unkindly of technology (rare for her) and then reset the server. It seems to resolve after that.

David
  • @David_Snowball Thanks, Professor Snowball, for your excellent commentary. I particularly enjoy your comments about non-investment related matters. Your discussion about the current plight of small private colleges was a great read.

I'm thinking that semi-celebrities are leaking "necked pitchers" of themselves as part of their strategies to become true celebrities.
  • Good & informative reviews of MAINX and AKREX, David; muchas gracias.
  • David, there is a secret here in western NY that we haven't let out yet. EJ Manual has been pretending he is bad so that we can surprise the Bears next weekend. They won't know what hit them. Oh, and about that bridge for sale...
  • Had a really nice beer the last time I was in Buffalo: Delirium Tremens. I wonder how many of the Bills' fans can relate?

The Steelers are just waiting for Johnny Football this weekend. Of course given their preseason, they might be overmatched by Johnny Flag Football. (sigh)

David
  • @ MikeM: Do you mean these Bills ? Chicago Bears 35- Buffalo Bills 7
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Thanks for the shout song Ted. Makes me want to go eat a dozen chicken wings and wash them down with a Genesee Cream Ale.

Bills 24 - Bears 10.
  • @David_Snowball As a resident of New Castle County, DE, I thank you for your unique perspective on the issue. The press and opposing politicians have been focused on whether the County Executive, whose Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) made the change, had the authority to change investment advisors unilaterally. I had seen no mention of the actual investments at issue until you linked to the press release which was likely written by the CAO, David Grimaldi. After having worked as a Financial Advisor (note, not Analyst) on Wall Street for a few years, Mr. Grimaldi fancies himself some kind of financial wunderkind. As evidenced by his analysis (or lack thereof) in this case, he is far from it.
  • Thanks! I'm startled by the uniformity of response from folks who've read the story. Several have blurted out the same phrase, which translates roughly to "they're intellectually impaired." I hope the folks in your county are able to work this through, both to make sure that this particular decision was lawful and not ill-advised but also that your local administrators don't feel empowered to routinely overstep their bounds.

All the best,

David
  • edited September 2014
    The combined commentary from you all was a fascinating, engaging, very informative read. Many of your descriptions ring my bells, as they say. Investing can easily become too spread-out and too complicated. Better to keep it simple, but HAVE A PLAN. AMEN.