Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Any "love" out there for India Funds...MINDX?

beebee
edited September 2014 in Fund Discussions
MINDX is on a tear. Up over 2% today...48% YTD...90% 1 year.

Recent News (As Russia and China build pipelines and try to expand on land and sea):
Japan and India Pledge to Strengthen Ties as China Rises
modi-criticizes-expansionist-policies-amid-tensions-with-china

Comments

• That caught my eye a while back but I hardly ever invest in single country funds, usually regions. That said, India is going to be a force and with the Japan alliance that should be a positive.
  • Not only on a tear but in a tight rising channel YTD with little to no volatility along the way.
  • beebee
    edited September 2014
    This news (April 30, 2014) hasn't caught up the fund's performance since -
    from M*:
    "Matthews India is not quite as attractive now that its managers have switched roles. This fund has modified its management team. On April 30, Sharat Shroff gave up his lead manager..."

@JohnChisum: For me, I have a Matthews reallocation strategy. My goal is to perform as well or better than MAPIX. When a Matthews Sector fund out performs MAPIX I try to reallocated its out performance back into MAPIX. Right now I am selling some of MINDX and reallocating profits into MAPIX. When Matthews sector funds are under performing MAPIX its an opportunity to "buy low". In this case, I use a portion of MAPIX to d.c.a. into under performing Matthews sector funds.

@Junkster: I am paying close attention to your words of wisdom...

"...if you want to succeed in this game, you have to become your own expert and listen only to yourself and the message of the market."
  • I swore off narrowly focused funds, so not for me. I do own MACSX, MAPIX in my IRA though.
  • edited September 2014
    look at INDL

where do you see 90% ytd for MINDX

edited thx johnchisum looks like it is 1 year indeed.
  • edited September 2014
    I think the 90% is for 1 year

Interesting strategy @bee.
  • >>>>>@Junkster: I am paying close attention to your words of wisdom...
    "...if you want to succeed in this game, you have to become your own expert and listen only to yourself and the message of the market."<<<<<

bee, I was going to say if I were younger I would have been all over MINDX. But that sounds a bit disingenuous and in the would have, could have, should have realm. I will say though that whenever this long running bull of tight rising channels in bonds ends, I may have to go back to the tight rising channels of equity funds (assuming of course there will be any out there to exploit) I will pay attention to your posts then (as I always do) as you seem to be as much into tight rising channels with little to no volatility as I am.
  • I continue to like India, and currently own SCIF (forward P/E 11), but follow MINDX (20) and EPI (13).

Kevin
  • kevindow said:

I continue to like India, and currently own SCIF (forward P/E 11), but follow MINDX (20) and EPI (13).

Kevin

Interesting: SCIF with a forward P/E of 11.38, yet MINDX with a forward P/E of 20.79

That's an anomaly not often found in the investing world.
    Average market cap of SCIF 611 million. Average market cap of MINDX still quite small at 2,994 Mil. That of EPI 12,838 Mil