Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

So, about buying that PC

edited November 2011 in Off-Topic
Thank you all for your replys and suggestions. Here's what's going on. Presently I am using a Mac G3 (1997) with OS 9.1. I got a version of OS 10 but never installed it because of rumors that a lot of my then current software wouldn't run, I needed what I had to do my business, and I couldn't afford all of the updates or new stuff. In 2002 I bought a Dell Dimension 4500 and am still using both of these today. About the only upgrading I've done is to max out the RAM in both computers and I went from a dailup connection to DSL. Even though my Dell has only a 40Gb hard drive I have as yet failed to use half of it. I am running Windows XP w/Service Pack 3, or so I think.

I say I think because when I try to keep up with all of the PC (Windows) software upgrades and updates and the computer goes through all of it's burps and convulsions it keeps telling me that some Net Framework thing didn't install correctly and I'm missing or have a corrupted Olleac.dll file of some sorts but yet life goes on and we compute.
What this has meant to me is that I have to use Safari to access my bank account with Wells Fargo and anything to do with Morningstar because IE 8 simply refuse to open those pages, Go figure. I basically use IE 8 for general surfing. I did try loading Firefox at some point in time and it crashed my computer so I'm loathe to go there again.

Another odd thing is that at one time my daughter and I each had separate log-in or user icons and through the mysteries of the PC only mine is currently accessible. I haven't a clue. About the same time I lost all ability to go into the Control Panel to add/remove programs. I can click on that thing all day and it just sits there. (I used to use this once a week or so to check for things that my daughter or her friends might have inadvertantly clicked on or installed. They don't care or notice.) Anyway I have Conflict Catcher to get around that problem but I haven't been able to install iTunes for over a year. Again it goes through all of its motions, says everything was installed - restart the computer, click on the icon and it says iTunes was not installed correctly. I've tried all of the online support advice prescriptions for uninstalling, reinstalling etc. until I'm blue in the face and I got nothing. Maybe it's a gift because with no iTunes the kids have little use for the computer although all of Ariel's songs are unavailable should you bomb her iPod and she can't sync it with iTunes anyway. For what it's worth I am using MBAM and MS Security Essentials regularly. I've tried Norton, Kapersky, Macafee and so on but they just seem to bog down the system so bad and are sooo slow I gave up.

Long story short - 2 old computers, a Mac with MS Office 4.2 and a PC with MS Office 2003 trying to play nice together with todays corporate clients sending me documents form Office 2007-10 something or other. Then there's all these Google spreadsheets and maybe some generated from the free stuff Maurice mentioned and the clients want things faxed to them which for me is a 10-min drive to the local bank or grocery store blah, blah, and blah. So I'm thinking it's time to bite the bullet.

Allthough I have bookmarked all sorts of links to refurbished computers I hadn't thought about it and thanks for reminding me. Originally I struggled with the idea of a laptop because I have not had good luck with their reliability. I'd get maybe 2-3 years out of them and they'd die. However since my business requires travelling and clients want to see this, that or the other thing I'd appear 100% more professional if I carried one and could assist them. My aging eyes suggested that I'd need at least a 15-inch model and I was leaning toward a Intel i7 MacBook. However, I just went and played with a 13-inch Intel i5 MacBook and its plenty clear enough and roughly half the price of the other. I am aware that I can probably get some 17-inch PC at probably half the price of that but reviews are all over the place and bottomline I just don't know who or what to trust but my gut says go Mac.

For the desktop I was looking at a Dell 8300 with a 24-inch monitor for just under a $1000 (Costco) with MS Office preloaded. Yeah, way more computing power than I will ever need but the price looked right. I am inclined to go with Dell or HP but I am open to suggestions from those in the know. Both of the computers (Mac+PC) will be hooked into a Canon multifunction laser printer (tired of buying new inkjets every 2-3 years because of gummed up printing heads, dried up cartridges etc. etc.). I eventually plan on adding an iPad to this mix and I would like for everyone to play nice together but I'm probably dreaming.

Assuming I go this route and I can transfer all the necessary old files I could then play with Ubunto on the old PC and see what I'm missing. I'd do it now and just get on with it but I simply cannot afford to have my computer crash or be out of service. I do have backups of all the important stuff but as anyone who has ever had a computer crash knows, reloading and getting one running again can be a 1-2 day affair and just pisses you off.

Still would like your thoughts and I truly, truly did appreciate especially those from the tech savy among you who so generously responded and didn't scream "you idiot!".

Comments

• edited November 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Howdy Mark,

This is a Costco link for an inexpensive Lenovo (they purchased IBM's pc div.). There are other vendors in this price range. These are "older" models....well, as the tech. turnover is so fast, I always am happy with what was "hot" a year or more backwards and then consider a purchase; at cheap prices.
    A side note that has little to do with this..........in 2000, I purchased a CD only reader/writer for a modern, 1997 Gateway pc. The CD reader/writer cost $365, tax included. The linked laptop here is $600..........just to present an example.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11657255&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|84|56670|78129&N=4047232&Mo=42&pos=0&No=35&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=78129&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC10590-Cat56670&topnav=

Also, (no, I am not pushing Dell pc's) I used two different Dell laptops for work. The first Dell was replaced only for reasons of an improved product. Both laptops traveled 5 days each and every week on the front seat of a mini van; and remained powered up all day long while traveling the roads. I never had a lick of problems with either unit.
    Maurice noted about a business model of a Lenovo. I know IBM used to produce a bullet proof business/travel model; but I don't know if this product type was carried over to Lenovo.
    As mentioned, I don't believe that some toting around in a vehicle would present any problems with today's laptops from any vendor.
    A laptop will provide all of your needs for home use and the travel required to customers. As noted with the details of the laptop in the link, you would have more than enough of everything for the tech. side of life for many years. You will need to purchase a new printer; or perhaps a better choice would be a printer/copier/fax unit combo.
    You noted a MS Office package as part of pricing for a pc. Some units may have this included, but one usually finds only the trial versions installed and one must upgrade (buy) the full package for full use.
    Lastly, I am looking at an HP laptop.....model 7....err, I forget the model number, at a local Sam's Club. $500 smackers, and has more than enough of everything for my use, including the "old eyes" 17" diagonal screen. I am writing this note on a 2003 Dell laptop that has served us well, but I can not upgrade past Windows XP, 2 meg of ram or IE 8. The limitations start to set in upon technology; and yes, it is much slower and will become less useable going forward.
    I don't throw money around towards "super new" tech. willy-nilly; but I do understand the limitations of what we now use at this house.

Regards,

Catch
  • edited November 2011
    Mark,

Both of your old gear are really old. They are not appropriate for modern apps and loads. I think you should get a new one.

I think you will be very satisfied with a current Lenovo i3 or i5 based laptop for your business needs. My alternative would be one from Dell. I really liked the Lenovo Thinkpad E420 but if you think 14" is small you can go with E520 which is the bigger 15.6".

I prefer smaller 13-14" ones as once you have a laptop, you will want to take it around and smaller size is more convenient. Smaller than 13" is probably not what you want. The keyboard and screen becomes too small. 17" Laptops are usually for gamers.

My suggestion to you is to get E420 and see if you need bigger screen. You can hook it to an HDMI TV if you like (I sometimes hook it to my 55" TV) or you can buy a 21-24" LCD monitor. These are nowadays are less around $150.

Instead of spending huge amount of money, do upgrade more frequently. You will have better experience overall.

Both Lenovo and Dell has extensive support for laptops so if something happens, you can have it repaired if necessary.

After you have transferred your data to new PC, you can reformat and reload the load PC with Ubuntu Linux. Or, you can donate the equipment to Goodwill and get charitable deduction.

Note: You may consider ordering via Amazon.com. Follow the link from this site so MFO would benefit as well.
  • Mi Amigo,

While I don't have any great technical advice to give you like the others, and admittedly, speaking from the 'dark side', listen to my brother (Dr. and Prof) and his kids (one recently grad and the other a sr.) about techie stuff. They're saying that the campus (MSU) picture has changed over the past few years or so from one almost exclusively MS to one that's now 85% Mac. Er, that's almost ALL of the incoming frosh are going Mac.

Me, I'm kicking myself in the ass most every damn time I use this pig and I'm running W7 and have been a softie all my life. I'm now actively looking for an opportunity to cross over to the light.

pax,

rono
  • edited November 2011
    Among college students there may be a trend towards a Mac Book since its 'sexy' and they do not have to deal with corporate issues. In fact, Mac in school environment has always been popular. They typically do not have to deal with business world compatibility issues.

It you decide that you still want a Mac, try the Apple refurbished units: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals

I've heard good experience of people buying Apple refurbished units from Apple Store.
  • I agree with Investor. I've had Macs for over 20 years, and the only new one that I've bought was one of the first- the SE/30. All of the others were used, and never have had a problem. A refurb should be just fine.