Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

More general, but yes: re: FUNDS (Josh Brown, tongue in cheek.)

edited September 2014 in The Bullpen
"....the average fund up just 2 percent year-to-date – but that’s just par for the course.

In the meantime, the S&P 500 is up close to 9 percent including dividends, US small caps are up just under 2 percent and the bond indices are all higher as well (especially the long-bond). Developed International stocks (Europe and Japan) are flat and Emerging Markets are crushing it, up mid-teens on the broad average and much more for some specific countries. With performance like this, for the basic and broad asset classes, it’s a total non-sequitur that anyone should feel as though they need (or are entitled to) more. They’re not getting it, in most cases, in 2014. Maybe 2015 will be the year it all turns around!"

EM specimen: SFGIX +9.13% ytd
Developed Europe fund: PRESX -1.26
CORE domestic balanced PRWCX: +8.30
CORE domestic balanced MAPOX +5.98
EM bonds: FNMIX: +10.83
TRP domestic blue-chip growth TRBCX: +6.73
TRP small-cap value PRSVX: -0.79
Mairs and Power small-cap MSCFX: +5.26

...I was just curious to see. I don't own all of these, myself. Look at the discrepancy between those last two in the list, eh?
http://www.thereformedbroker.com/2014/09/05/2015-will-be-the-year-of-the-stockpicker/