Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Ping Investor-

edited November 2011 in Off-Topic
Hey there, Investor-

Started my read of "The Power of Gold: The History of an Obsession" this weekend, and you were right on! This is an excellent treatment of exactly the subject that I am interested in. Absolutely fascinating transition from barter to the use of coinage, and a very good consideration of the inescapable fact that while gold is pretty, and many people find it very desirable, in the order of importance as to staying alive it is pretty far down the list. (As those who traded gold for salt were well aware.)

Thanks very much for the suggestion. Regards- OJ

Comments

• You are very welcome. I am glad you are enjoying it.
  • Reply to @Investor:

For those, like me, who missed this link could you reference it again...thanks
  • Hi there bee- not a link... an actual book! I'll bet that you remember those- kind of heavy, lots of paper, no internet connection required, no batteries needed. I found mine at the local library, but Investor's link to Amazon is given below. Thanks again for your contribution to this general topic- I simply don't understand how we are supposed to have any kind of an intelligent opinion on monetary relationships without at least a cursory understanding of the underlying mechanisms and choices.

Title: The Power of Gold: The History of an Obsession
    Author: Peter Bernstein

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Gold-History-Obsession/dp/0471003786/
    (First visit MFO's Amazon.com link to order)
  • Reply to @Old_Joe:

Thanks OJ for the link...I'll pick up a box of band aids as well...do kids today appreciate that ebooks have spared them the dangers of page turning and the terror of paper cuts?