Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Amazon Drops Price of Fire Phone to 99 Cents

edited September 2014 in Off-Topic
As I post, Apple is about to unveil the highly awaited IPhone 6. Caveat: The 99 cent Fire Phone requires a 2 year contract with AT&T. I don't think this is a complete disaster for Amazon. They view their internet capable devices as a way of attracting online shoppers. So giving away the phone makes some sense.

BTW: Recently picked up one of their refurbished Fire tablets for about $70. It's in like-new condition. Am very impressed with the quality of the device - which I use exclusively for reading digital (Kindle subscription) content.

Link to article http://www.zdnet.com/amazon-drops-price-of-fire-phone-from-199-to-99-cents-ahead-of-iphone-6-unveiling-7000033427/

Comments

• edited September 2014
    Fire Phone was/is wayyyy too expensive for what it offers. Amazon's phone is an attempt to get people more into Amazon's "ecosystem" and it's a fortune. Google's Nexus line has always been done with the same intent and those phones have consistently been a great value. I do think Amazon's tablets are fine and I have nothing against Amazon, but I just didn't see the phone working from the get-go.

It will be interesting to see what Apple announces in about 10 min.
  • That is strange indeed. I thought all phone carriers were moving away from 2 year plans, gravitating users toward family shared plans, and making customers purchase phones.

All it would take is a bear market though and 99 cent phones with 2 year plans will become common again, regardless of which phone.
  • The ecosystem is the main focus here. Amazon selling their phones as loss leaders might look good from the start but their ecosystem is not comparable to Apple or some of the others. Those ecosystems are growing by the day.
  • edited September 2014
    John's correct. Sad but true that you get "locked" into one company by things like I-Cloud, I-Tunes, and Apps specific to one type device, Wouldn't make much sense to have a Apple tablet and a Amazon phone.

That's the reason I use the Fire tablet mentioned just for accessing and reading Kindle content - where Amazon's still a leader.

If recollection is correct, early in the PC era this type of vertical integration didn't succeed and was the main reason Microsoft pulled ahead of Apple.

• Yes, and that's the main reason that I try to stay away from such products if I can.
  • Old_Joe said:

Yes, and that's the main reason that I try to stay away from such products if I can.

:) You are right. I don't really use my iPhone for anything than making calls. I do use it for emails but that's about it. People are finding it hard to distinguish between "want" and "need".

My prediction is, if stock market tanks, Apples new devices will be a bust. Especially the iWatch. When people are feeling "good" about themselves is when "innovation" typically succeeds.

That said, new iPhone price seems to be $199. That seems low unless of course it comes with 2-year plan.
  • Yep that's with a two year contract.
  • I'm the opposite. I welcome technology. I use my iPhone for calls, texts, web, and I have music and photos on it. I even used it today to put new handle pulls on some cabinets. The compass app has a level built into it so I could be sure those pulls were straight and even. I have my diabetic test records on it too. Every 6 months I email my physician the results.

It makes my life a lot easier for sure.
  • Tracfone and Kindle Fire fit my lifestyle better. However, I love to play with these things and want one of everything I see. B Ritholtz has the videos from yesterday (including iWatch):
    Apple iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus Videos
  • edited September 2014
    I live and die with the IPad. The GPS App has freed us up to travel more and not fear picking up cars at distant airports - gets us where we need to go. The contacts list also saves links. It's so much easier to click a link when accessing some financial account somewhere.

Not liking being constantly "connected", I carry only a cheap trac phone for occasional use. It's turned off 90% of the time. Year's service is under $100.

Agree with others Amazon is in over their heads. But I think Bezos feels he has no choice but to go heavy digital. Views it as a matter of survival. What they need to do is "leap frog" the others in some new area. Drones and aerospace maybe. More practical, however, would be a wearable device (like a watch) that doesn't need to be tied to a phone as Apple's will need to be.