Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Portfolio Review tool @ Scottrade from M*

edited September 2014 in Fund Discussions
This has go to be a joke. I have a bunch of balanced/global allocation funds in my Scottrade IRA, and a smattering of closed funds I haven't sold (FMIMX, YACKX, GPROX, OAKIX). My portfolio says I'm 30% equities, 16% fixed income, 16% cash and 37% "Other". Makes no sense.

It would seem "Global Allocation" classification from M* lands corresponding fund in "Other" category during Portfolio Analysis. One would think it would look at fund and total up equities, bonds, etc., but no.They all go to other. GPGOX is other. ICMBX is other. WTF !?!?!?

Comments

• I have tried some other portfolio analysis tools and came up with the same kind of results. Some funds are "other" when the tool doesn't have the classification it needs. ARYVX (Global Real Estate) is a usual culprit. They probably work well if you have a bunch of index funds.
  • edited September 2014

I have tried some other portfolio analysis tools and came up with the same kind of results. Some funds are "other" when the tool doesn't have the classification it needs. ARYVX (Global Real Estate) is a usual culprit. They probably work well if you have a bunch of index funds.

So basically unless I have Fidelity Large Cap, TRP Mid Cap and Vanguard Small Cap, it is pretty much useless. Serves me right for trying to use M*
  • edited September 2014
    FWIW ... on the T Rowe Price M* Tool, GPGOX looks like this in the Portfolio Manager:

Cash ............. 2.95
    US Stk ..........31.85
    Non US Stk ...64.81
    Other ............ 0.40
    TOTAL ....... 100.00

Which agrees with M*'s "mothership" site.
  • I always get a laugh when I use any tool on the Scottrade website no matter from whom or where it originates. Check out the listing you get when you look to see the industry peers for nearly any individual equity listing or comparable funds when researching mutual funds. A sorry state indeed in this day and age but then Scottrade never promised a rose garden.
  • You may not always get what you do pay for, but you surely never get what you don't pay for.