Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Re: PRPFX

edited November 2011 in Fund Discussions
Andrei, in the post linked below, has some questions re PRPFX. I see that a number of you already hold PRPFX, and so I'd much appreciate your thoughts, as I'm also considering putting some portion of our retirement stash there.

⇒ Link to Andrei's Post

Comments

• edited November 2011
    I think the performance of Swiss Francs is going to be iffy going forward, I think the performance of treasury bonds going forward is definitely going to be questionable. I think it is going to rely on the performance of gold, silver and its inflationary stocks, which I think will fare well.

Personally, in terms of a fund with buckets of different asset classes, I've gone with AQR Risk Parity (which is actively managed and mixed between credit, global fixed income, global stock index futures, commodity futures, currency futures and global TIPs.) This is actively managed, but attempts to be "risk-balanced" over various asset classes/buckets. I've been pleased with it although it's more moderate risk than Permanent Port, which I'd consider a more conservative allocation play. The fund also does not seem heavily correlated to market movement. It's definitely not apples-to-apples with Permanent Portfolio, but the risk parity strategy does seem like a somewhat modernized/definitely more actively managed version.

I do think Permanent Portfolio will continue to deliver "singles" and is a fine inflation-protection choice for conservative older investors. However, I've gone with the AQR fund. Pimco's new Inflation Multi-Asset fund may also be an inflation choice for older investors.

Cliff Asness discusses the AQR fund in a CNBC interview below.

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=1606776553