Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Fortunate?

edited November 2011 in Off-Topic
I have apparently followed no recommended recipe except for my own instincts in ending-up with the portfolio I own at this point in time. Given the recent Market swoon that is occurring right now, I'm feeling lucky in a backhanded way:
Dow down 1.13%
NASDAQ down 1.96%
S & P down 1.68%
Russell 2000 down 1.52%
Taiwan down 1.19%
London down 1.56%
Sydney down 1.51%
Toronto down 2.13%
Japan down 1.26%

Max Bialystock's portfolio was in negative territory today, too, but just 0.47%, following a few days in a row finishing DOWN--- but always less than worldwide equity Indices. Surely, my overweight position in PREMX helps in this regard. It's not beginner's luck. Could I be well-situated for this current Market without acting on the advice offered by the world's top gurus? All things being equal, my stuff is not very well arranged.......But all things are never equal, especially now.

Comments

• edited November 2011
    Yes indeed Max, so far so good. But the emerging country stuff cannot exist in a long-term vacuum if the "developed" consuming countries stop buying a lot of stuff for a long time because there ain't no mo' money, honey.

Like Poptart said, this is a battle, for sure, and things can change pretty quickly. Be prepared to dive for the shelter if things come totally unglued.

Regards-
  • edited November 2011
    As Old Joe noted, the way that your portfolio is structured is largely lower-key Asia funds and EM bonds. So, it's definitely not going to always be heavily correlated to developed markets from day-to-day for better or worse. Given the way that my portfolio is, it is also not heavily correlated (which I actually like and want), somedays for better (I was barely down at all when the market was down 190 a couple of days ago), somedays for worse (I was definitely down more in-line with markets yesterday when the market was down 130.)