Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Closing Bell: U.S. Stocks Fall Sharply On Global Growth Worries

FYI: Disappointing Data Out of Germany, IMF’s Global Outlook Cut Raise Concerns.
Regards,
Ted
http://online.wsj.com/articles/u-s-stock-futures-inch-lower-following-europes-lead-1412684528#printMode

Markets At A Glance: http://markets.wsj.com/us

Comments

• Good grief.

Can't wait until tomorrow after bell.
  • Seems like the long anticipated consolidation may be upon us. While the Dow is down less than 3 percent from its record highs, the NYSE Composite is down 5 percent. Other measures are even worse: The Russell 2000 small-cap index is down nearly 11 percent from its high.

If this keeps up for another week or so, I may let loose of some dry powder.
  • edited October 2014
    "I may let loose of some dry powder". Yes, getting close.

The weird thing, as always, is that the supposed "trigger" ("Disappointing Data Out of Germany") has been both obvious and widely commented upon for quite a while now... it's hardly a surprise. I doubt that is actually the trigger: it just happened to be mentioned while all of the other negative events (Mideast, Hong Kong, China, Japan, Russia/Ukraine/Europe, Ebola, Fed actions) were piling up, day by day, until something somewhere finally tipped the scales.

This might be interesting.
  • Charles said:

Good grief.

Can't wait until tomorrow after bell.

Folks, that's what you call an optimist!

• "The weird thing, as always, is that the supposed "trigger" ("Disappointing Data Out of Germany") has been both obvious and widely commented upon for quite a while now."

During their daily briefing when they spin the wheel, the arrow landed on Germany.

• The Euro keeps falling - I might go to Europe next year!
  • :-) "During their daily briefing when they spin the wheel, the arrow landed on Germany" :-)
  • @OJ. Good one.

Expect tomorrow will be better.
  • edited October 2014
    It's apparent to me from Charles' "Can't wait until tomorrow" comment that he had an early peak at those FOMC minutes.

I'm asking the SEC to investigate: "What did Charles know? ... And when did he know it?":)

Regards
  • I just think that earnings session will help provide better basis for market movement...a dream I have. And, I remain cautiously optimistic that earnings will continue to improve. AA announces after the bell. I'm heavy AA. Fingers-crossed.
  • edited October 2014
    I believe that I read somewhere that AA is going to impose surcharges for both seats and seatbelts. Also, a "destination fee" for luggage, in addition to the existing luggage charges, but the destination fee will only apply if the luggage arrives at the correct destination. If the luggage is lost in transit, there will be a new "finder's fee" and "retrieval fee", to offset the associated expenses, but the destination fee will be waived.

That should improve earnings significantly!
  • lol. Market down a few %, Fed runs to the rescue. I thought they wouldn't run to the rescue unless the market declined a good 15-20% or more.
    Old_Joe said:

I believe that I read somewhere that AA is going to impose surcharges for both seats and seatbelts. Also, a "destination fee" for luggage, in addition to the existing luggage charges, but the destination fee will only apply if the luggage arrives at the correct destination. If the luggage is lost in transit, there will be a new "finder's fee" and "retrieval fee", to offset the associated expenses, but the destination fee will be waived.

That should improve earnings significantly!

I believe he meant Alcoa, but your thoughts on the other AA are amusing.
  • Brother Joe.

My bad for not being more specific.

AA - Alcoa

Aluminum Company

• I have not flown American Airlines in years.

I used to fly TWA a lot.

Then, lived on Delta for years. Still like Delta. Good airline. Good people.

But, Virgin America has become my favorite airline.
  • Thank you sir. Just joined call.
  • edited October 2014
    Didn't really report Charles. Good call. Keep that up & we can easily double the readership here.

I'm with Scott. Thought Yellen was going to let us squirm more. However, the deflationary pressures - especially coming from Europe - have increased dramatically this year IMHO.

Southwest is the only one I've been on that runs a good operation. We're dismayed they recently ended the service to Key West they inherited from Air Tran. They got P-Oed at the airport for letting equipment break down compromising landings and disrupting service. But OMG that used to be fun riding those 737-800s in and out of there on a 4800 ft. runway.:)

American is giving United a run for worst service. But haven't caught up with them yet. Our recent experiences on Delta have been good.
  • edited October 2014
    Huge quarter. Triple profits, year over year.

Strong aerospace growth. Strong auto demand.

Price run-up in basic materials.

Predict strong organic growth in 4Q.

Klaus Kleinfeld has to be one of best CEOs in America.

He's key chart driving strong performance...

Here's more...

• When carbon fiber looked like a threat, Alcoa did some work and came out with a new aluminum alloy that's just as light and strong. Just as expensive too I would guess.