Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Some Up Funds Today...

edited October 2014 in Fund Discussions
WBMIX, of course.

FAAFX, likely due to this...

And, even SIGIX, a nice surprise.

Not bad given the continued hemorrhage.

And even a couple stocks...HCP (again) and SCHN (since it's been down so long, can't go down anymore...=) ).

I noticed too that DODIX is doing pretty well lately. If DODGX stays below 10 mo SMA by month's end, time to rotate back. First time will need to rotate out since started this strategy for this part of my portfolio, circa 2012 I think.

Bummer.

Comments

• edited October 2014
    Yep - only off a quarter percent today. Gainers: QRAAX, PRELX, DODLX, OIBAX & DODIX.

Re: the depressed commodities sector, oil continued down, but a lot of AG products rebounded sharply.

• FAIRX up .72% today, as a result of what Charles posted above, as well as AIG was only down a little and BAC moderately so. Very nice performance for FAIRX on an awful day in the market.
  • Charles said:

WBMIX, of course.

FAAFX, likely due to this...

And, even SIGIX, a nice surprise.

Not bad given the continued hemorrhage.

And even a couple stocks...HCP (again) and SCHN (since it's been down so long, can't go down anymore...=) ).

I noticed too that DODIX is doing pretty well lately. If DODGX stays below 10 mo SMA by month's end, time to rotate back. First time will need to rotate out since started this strategy for this part of my portfolio, circa 2012 I think.

Bummer.

Wanted to always ask you. Why do you always quote Institutional shares, i.e. WBMIX and SIGIX?
  • Another question. On which - free of course - website I can chart "monthy" SMA? Stockcharts only gives "daily" and "weekly"
  • Hi VF. My bad. Please forgive me. Two reasons: 1) they are the oldest share class, by designation, so they are they are the ones we do ratings on, and 2) they are the shares I own.
  • Charles said:

Hi VF. My bad. Please forgive me. Two reasons: t hey are the oldest share class, by designation, so they are they are the ones we do ratings on, and 2) they are the shares I own.

My friend, you are making me feel bad. "Forgive me"? Seriously...

It makes perfect sense what you said, since that's how we should look at the manager's record, over the longest term possible. I never thought of it that way.

Would like to know how you are able to buy the institutional shares though. If you tell me it is because you are rich, then I'm so happy for you.

While I'm asking questions, how the heck FVALX ended up?
  • edited October 2014
    Yahoo does a nice 200 day SMA, which is close enough to the 10 mo SMA...

In Yahoo Finance, click on Basic Tech Analysis tab...

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ta?s=DODGX&t=1y&l=on&z=l&q=l&p=m200&a=&c=

I use Schwab, through my 401. So, I get access to institutional shares, like WBMIX, at much lower minimums than direct with Whitebox.

Schwab has a 10 mo SMA chart opinion.

And, I tend to plot my own in Excel, downloading data via Yahoo Finance, for example.

I'm sure there are others, but off-hand, can't name them.

And, I'm being summoned to dinner!

Hope all is well.

c
  • VF, I have a sub to stockcharts.com, but I see Daily, Weekly, Monthly, 2-hour, etc. On that site please take a look at the Elder Impulse System.
  • Okay approximating using daily, weekly for monthly I don't like. And I do want free site doing "monthly". Harrrrummmpphhhhhh !!!!

Meanwhile discussing funds that went up today. PRLAX 3.57%. WTF !?!?!
  • Free site BigCharts does "monthly."
  • Also try this Google chart. Enter your fund, choose "1 month". Under chart set "Technicals" to 30 day SMA.
  • Barchart is okay but I don't know if it has the customization you are looking for.