Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Are you, too; just tired of the Fed. folks marketing their thoughts???

Mr. Bullard, more or less, stated that perhaps the current QE policy (scheduled to end this month) might be modified.

Now, I am all in favor of open meetings and related; but when these folks hop in and out of the tv box with the various thoughts and projections; duh !!! If they really want the whole package to be open; they should have all of their meetings open and online in real time. No more closed doors chit-chat.

I am very tired of their sporadic marketing. And they wonder why a company or individual can't figure out a 5 year business model...............crap!

Signed:

Mr. Disgusted

Comments

• edited October 2014
    Hi Catch! I think you miss the point. They do it for a purpose: to communicate potential or impending policy decisions to investors and thereby influence investor behavior. In today's case, Mr. Bullard was trying to counter the effects of several nasty problems which have the potential to sink the economy:

Among those problems are: deflation in Europe, rapidly falling equity and commodity prices, slowing global growth, slowing housing at home, turmoil in some bond markets, the effects of ebola on some global economies and its potential for panic at home, and a half-dozen ongoing military conflicts which threaten global stability.

Not saying he's necessarily right. Just saying that's what they do (communicate). That's part of their job as they view it.
    ---

Interestingly, the many issues that concern Bullard and the Fed have all been addressed on the MFO forum in recent weeks. Just last evening, Rono made some interesting remarks regarding the potential impact of ebola on our markets.

However, Catch. Agree with your sentiments.
  • No, not really. They are a group of human beings who are trying their level best to do what they believe is most advantageous for the United States. Being human, they of course have differing opinions on a given set of facts or data, and so at times we hear differing remarks.

Also, the economic facts and data have a disturbing way of being highly inconsistent and variable, given the panoply of current worldwide problems.

The Fed is one of the few government operations that I still have some degree of faith in to try and do the right thing.

With respect to anyone's "five-year plan", I think its disingenuous to project the current worldwide uncertainty as if the Fed is the primary mover. They are simply trying to react, as is everyone else.

I suppose that we could simply shut down the Fed for a couple of years and see what happens. I'm sure that there's a whole lot of pols in the House of Representatives who would think that's a fine idea.
  • edited October 2014
    "No, not really. They are a group of human beings who are trying their level best to do what they believe is most advantageous for the United States banks."

-Fixed.

In all seriousness, I have no belief whatsoever that the Fed is looking out primarily for Main Street, USA.
  • Scott, like it or not (and I don't any more than you) the only financial system is the one we've got. Could there be a better system that would prioritize the benefits to the average joe? Of course. Will we ever have anything like that? Of course not. We have what we have: if it falls apart, we go with it.