Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Car recommendations?

Very OT, but I hope some here would not mind. I think this is a group of financially savvy, value-oriented, practical
and helpful individuals (possibly closer to my age-group, around 50?). That's why I thought of posting here vs. some
car forums which tend to be dominated by car enthusiasts.

My trusty Japanese family cars are getting old and want to replace now. Considering new or certified used, with a budget
of around $25-26k or lower. May look at used from private parties, but really as a last choice. We would like to keep the
car for a long time (> 10 years).

Primary needs
* Comfort: Becoming more important as both of us age. Includes good comfortable seats, low noise, climate control
* Reliability, in terms of maintenance costs
* Safety
* Space for family. We are not big, but don't want cramped back-seats. Trunk-space mid-range.
* This factor is at the border of primary and not essential. Driving performance. Not looking for
top-class acceleration and maneuvering complex turns at fast speeds, but good acceleration (my old trusty
Accord is quite weak in joining freeways or passing cars), better than average 'road grip', etc.

Not needed
* AWD or FWD. We drive mostly in SoCal, no real off-roading

We are beginning to test-drive, but there is nothing like hearing from others who have driven their cars
a bit longer than 15-20 minutes.

Any pointers, including suggestions for better forums to post, are welcome.

BTW, has anyone here bought direct from sites like cardirect?

Comments

• edited October 2014
    Here is one that most of the appreciated has occurred ... Not sure it will fit your fancy though ... but, it is my kind of car ... and, priced about right.

http://www.streetsideclassics.com/showcar.php/atl/1866
  • You've mentioned 'my old trusty Accord'. To me, nothing feels like my Honda. Just keep it simple and get another Accord. You'll have something you already trust in an updated package.
  • BrianW is spot on. The Accord is a great vehicle. If you are looking for something different brand wise, Toyota Camry would be another pick.
  • Oh, I meant to keep my comments relevant to the forum. Cars are like Mutual funds, stay with what you know.
  • And, I've bought four from Carmax.
  • edited October 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Kaspa: I look at the sticker price including destination charges and make a starting offer of 20% less than the sticker. See how the salesperson reacts. I recommend buying a new car, when you buy a used car, your buying someone else's problems. unless its the little old lady from Dubuque
    Regards,
    Ted
    1. Honda Accord V6
    2. Kia Optima
  • Have bought several used Honda Odysseys and one V6 Accord from dealers. Very reliable and I would not change brands. An Accord V6 is a very swift car.
  • +1 to what Maurice said about Nissan.
  • Check out the toys. 185 k+miles. Regular oil changes & 1 water pump only maintainence for me.
    Derf
  • Since you trust your Accords, why don't you look at certified or new Acura's like TL/ TLX or RDX?
  • Thanks for the feedback. As many of you mentioned, my usual suspects were sticking with Accord, or checking Camry, Altima. Was also searching certified cars and have come across some interesting options Accura TSX 2013, 14k miles (a little over $23k) and a Volvo S60 T5 premier 2012, 33k miles ($22k). Any experince with these? Acura is Honda's cousin, so I expect similar reliability. Never had a Volvo, but looks like an interesting alternative. Assume higher maintenance cost though.

Thanks for the pointers about negotiations.
  • We have been a Honda family for 15 years and nothing else. Currently a 2014 Honda Accord Sport and 2007 Civic. Love them both and we also use a dealer close to home who we have been very happy with. Wife and I are 78 and 80 retired. We did have a 2004 Acura TSX and loved it. Not enough rear seat room and might have bought one again.
  • Volvo is really Ford in a nicer and supposedly safer package.
  • edited October 2014
    I had a 2009 Honda Accord 6 cylinder. Other than the insulation being a bit shy, thus a little more road noise than I expected, I absolutely loved the car!

This was the period of time, circa 2010, that the likes of Hyundai were making a big push and started to make great looking and quality vehicles, at a price point a good bit under the Accord.

I think they hit Honda blindsided and it did not take long for them to eat into Honda's market share and quickly. Fortunately, Honda was able to react, and by about 2012, Honda put an Accord back on the road that in my opinion was the very best car in its class. I do not see them resting on their laurels again!

Mona

• edited October 2014
    Howdy @JohnChisum

I do believe Volvo is now owned by Hejiang Geely Holding Group of China, with the purchase from Ford in 2010. 'Course, I do not know whether this affects quality, which it should not.
    I suppose with Volvo and some other brands, is one's ability to obtain service repairs properly if traveling in areas not close to metro areas. I presume there are many more techinicans (familiar with the product) and dealerships available for Honda, versus Volvo.

• edited October 2014
    Just 2 cents worth here. We've rented both the 2014 Fusion and Malibu. Both good cars, but the Fusion is clearly superior IMHO. Marvelous car for its class. Quiet, peppy, roomy, upscale interior. BTW: We used to own a 08 Fusion. A fine car back than, but the 4-cyl was lacking power. Not any more.

We also rented a 2014 Impala on a trip to Arizona last spring. Picked it up in Phoenix and drove north to the canyon - about 4 hours. Speed limit's 75 out there and we took advantage of it. Great driving car. Didn't want to leave it behind when we came home.

Never bought a "foreign" (branded) car. However, the 08 Fusion was a Mazda under the skin, as Ford had a partnership with Mazda back than - believe they had partial ownership. Apparently Ford learned a lot from the partnership, as the car has only gotten better.

It's hard to go wrong nowadays. In the past, the Chrysler products we rented were falling apart. However, from what I've read, they have really improved the quality since Fiat bought it. Certainly nice lookers.
    Enjoy the hunt.:)

• @catch22, I stand corrected. I forgot about that Geely buying Volvo from Ford.

So that makes the question even more pertinent. I would safely assume this is not the same Volvo as of years past.
  • I drive a 2010 Corolla, bought used a couple years ago. Wonderful car, surprisingly nice backseat, all things considered. I've driven it as far as Pittsburgh (630 miles) and have been happy with the feel and handling.

A close second with the Scion B, which has outstanding engineering and is widely used as a taxi in Chicago, I've noticed. I've ridden in them and been quite pleased. Didn't pursue it once my son saw one and declared "you're not buying a box to drive, dad."

(sigh)

David
  • edited October 2014
    Prius or Camry. I have owned several of each. Can't beat 'em. I would buy a fourth Prius in a heartbeat. Cheap, zero maintenance (almost), roomy, greenish, and did I say cheap?
  • I wouldn't wish a GM product on my worst enemy. I have far more respect for Ford and if it wasn't for my obsession with Hondas (with a Mazada thrown in here and there), I would consider one.
  • We've had terrific experiences with used Saturns, a GM car.
  • Check out the VW Passat. Compares favorably to the Accord and Camry in features, prices, and warranty. Extra inch of rear seat leg room, extra gallon in gas tank, first year of scheduled maintenance included (though I see Camry now offers two years), competent handling, quiet cabin, can be had with diesel if you're so inclined. Trunk space same in each. Mazda 6 is sporty, but less comfortable to me. Have driven all of the above. Have not driven new Ford Fusion, but it probably warrants a look. Also drove Sonata and Malibu and don't recommend either. In the end, they all spec very close to each other - to within tenths of inches, 1 mpg, etc. - so it ends up being more about looks and brand loyalty if you're not picky about the ride.

http://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/passat/2015/features-specs.html?style=200705177
    http://www.edmunds.com/honda/accord/2015/features-specs.html?style=200709381
    http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/camry/2015/features-specs.html?style=200693838
    http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/mazda6/2015/features-specs.html?style=200674228
    http://www.edmunds.com/ford/fusion/2015/features-specs.html?style=200697195
  • @Joe74
    Passat is on my list too. Like the way it drives -- more German, although they seemed to have toned down. Good space and look. Considered TDI, but may just look at 1.8L turbo instead, as mileage is good (not as good as diesel), and diesel brings some unknowns for me in terms of maintenance, California emissions, easy availability for fuel on the road, etc. My only issue (perception?) about VW is lower reliability vs Honda/Toyotas.
  • edited October 2014
    Hello. Great question. Just fyi - we've bought a new 2012 honda accord v6 in March 2012, mrsp was ~32k without Nagivator. We got it brand new for 24.99K + ttl, reason we got it so cheap was we've bought it around the date @ end of quater, the honda dealer managements have to meet 'quaterly sale end quotas/#'. We also bid the war through 4 different dealers and got the best one. I think they have to get the 7% loans for 3 yrs through dealership -but we got rid of this loan within 2 days of buying the car and got a 3% loans through penfed.org after closure. I think we shopped around for two wks off and on and found this deal.

So if you are not pressed for time, buy car at end of quater, shop around, email many dealers for prices, and talk to managements to come up w/ these deals. Make sure you bring the emails from other Dealers into the car dealer that you want to get it from.

I think we got this Honda for this price because we have many Hondas before, and they give us ? 250 dollars off the final price sale also because we own many Hondas before - some sort of incentives if you are a loyal customers. I think many companies like Honda/Toyota, GM Ford also have the same deals if you previously have their car the past few yrs

If you live near Dallas go to GILLMAN HONDA DEALERS - they may give you the best deals

The wifey got one honda in the 1990s, I got one in college, we got another Honda in 2002, and we got this new one in 2012. Hondas are excellence IMHO.

edmunds usually give you cheapest price of what others paid previously
    http://www.edmunds.com/honda/accord/2015/?sub=&ps=

• edited October 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited October 2014
    Agree with Ted. I know some folks who do well buying used. I've only gotten "cream-puffs." One from a private seller was such a lemon that water started gushing from the cooling system before I could drive it the 15 miles home. Had to take it straight to a radiator repair shop - and the problems never ceased until we traded it in a year later on a new one.
  • I am not a "used car buyer". I'm very afraid. I just buy new but within my budget. However now, I have an almost 16 year old, and was looking for a used reliable car. Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Nissan Sentra come to mind, but anyone has any suggestions?
  • Again, Prius, but used are not cheap