Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Wonder what were your top three fund gains today...and 3 least gainful?

beebee
edited November 2011 in Fund Discussions
Sorry MJG, but small victories are so infrequent these days. My monitor was "on"... is "on"... will remain "on".

Lots of lipstick being applied to all sorts of PIIGS today.

My top three fund gains for the day:
CAMAX +8.04%
VGPMX +7.71%
HRVIX +6.78%

My least gainful funds for the day:
EDV -3.32%
USAIX -0.15%
USATX 0.00%

Comments

• hi Bee
    What brokers sell the USAA funds and are the no load?
    Burt
  • Reply to @prinx:

Hey Burt,

I have a USAA brokerage account which I believe is also available to the general public and all USAA funds are NTF/No load through their fund marketplace.
    Link:
    https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/brokerage_commission_schedule_assisted

Looks like E Trade offers 18 USAA funds:
    http://www.mfwire.com/article.asp?storyID=33521&template=article&bhcp=1

I also believe Vanguard and others offers USAA funds NTF.

Yahoofinance has a link that list where USAA is available:
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q/pi?s=USAIX+Purchase+Info
  • Hi bee,

FSAGX +6.5%
    FFGCX +5.6%
    FDVLX +4.9%

FINPX -.15%
    DGCIX -.17%
    DPFFX - .22%

Will be watching carefully and have the unload equity gun cocked.

Take care of you and yours,
    Catch
  • Hi bee,

My leaders were GDXJ (junior gold miners) - 7.1%, SIL (silver bullion)- 6.5%, TGLDX (Toqueville Gold)- 5.9%.

My losers were DBA (Ag commodities)0.7%, and PCRIX (commodities) and MERKX (hard currency) at 1.3%.

Hey, it was the perfect storm for the market with equities, metals, materials, etc. all soaring. Soft commodities - food and stuff were off but metals and energy - and stocks.

Hey, the joint action by all the CBs is essentially a disguised form of QE and more importantly, an explicit announcement that they'll they are willing to take down the entire finanical system of the planet in order to save some select individuals some money. As Ron Paul said today on CNBC, Greece should have defaulted 2 years ago.

Then again, considering that we went to war in WWI to save JP because he had funded the allies and they were losing. feh. Guess Corzine doesn't rate.

And so it goes,

peace,

rono
  • edited November 2011
    Aw, three's too much work bee. Best was PRNEX (Price New Era) up almost 6%. Worst HSGFX (Hussman Strategic Growth) off about 1%. (come on Santa - keep it goin)
  • Reply to @hank:

Instead of coal for Christmas this year I've asked Santa's reindeer to frack some natural Gas for me...and Santa promised me a pack of matches
  • Reply to @bee: Be careful now! Gas, matches, reindeer... Don't like the sound of that. (-:
  • winners
    FAAFX +11% !!!!
    TGLDX +5.9%
    PRNEX +5.8%

not so much winners
    MWTRX -0.1
    LSBRX +0.9
    HSTRX +1.0
  • Reply to @rono: Exactly. If there was any question about whether bailouts would continue, I think it was answered yesterday.
  • http://www.marketwatch.com/story/wednesdays-biggest-gaining-declining-stocks-2011-11-30?reflink=MW_news_stmp

couple of good gainers - pspfx us global resources +5.58 yesterday and one week >9.5%
    vwo > 6%

today probably one of my happiest day, BUNCH OF DIVIDENDS FROM PRIVATE BONDS ARE COMING IN! [best few days of the year are 12/1, 6/1, 1/1 and 7/1] ...I am happy
  • Reply to @MikeM:

Wow Mike...I'll keep this one (FAAFX) on my radar. Has it had really big down moves as well?
  • Reply to @Anonymous:

Hi JohnN,

Your VWO position plus your LOVE for dividends (whats not like?) reminded me of a "barbell fund" I recently came across. Its ticker is UMAFX. Its considered a world allocation fund. It combines the following ETFs to provide a income stream as well as long term growth.

UMAFX's holdings:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/hl?s=UMAFX+Holdings
  • thanks bee...kind regards
  • edited December 2011
    Hey bee- All you gots to do is click on that thar FAAFX thingy- Google Finance (take your choice of sites) says -25.30% ytd. (Change the Google chart to show the ytd pattern.) In fact, all of the winners shown in the above posts seem to have a pretty poor ytd.
  • Reply to @bee:
    Hi Bee. Oh, it sure has had down moves - ever since it's inception about 1 year ago. The fund is up like 16% in the last week, but before that I think it was down like -28%. I have to admit I've had purchase regrets.

I bought the fund back in February, even before the portfolio contents were published - sight unseen. I now know that was a mistake. But I believed (still do) that Berkowitz knows how to make money in the long run. This will stay a longer term.
  • MACSX = no gain nor loss today. PREMX UP +0.23% today. Those were my best performers.