Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Continuation to end the week. Your prediction.

The hope is that the rally will continue to Friday's markets and can close higher thus confirming this rally. @LLJB discussed this in another thread. Early this morning here, the Nikkei has opened 1.5% higher. I will keep an eye on Asia markets and also Europe to see if global participation is positive.

Anyone else have a sense one way or the other how this might run on the week's end?

Comments

• It all depends on the story in NYC that happened this afternoon. If that turns out okay, then the market will end the week higher.

Earnings are mostly at least okay.
  • I thought that you two had been banned. What gives?

:-)
  • I did read that this morning. I hope it turns out well. Sometimes the unknown throws a stone in the gears.
  • Sad. Futures are starting to react.

http://finviz.com/futures.ashx
  • @JohnChisum

Asia looks neutral to mixed at 10PM, EST. The U.S. futures may just be a reaction to the recent upward run.

Take care,
    Catch
  • @catch22, you are probably right. Some gains in Asia have slightly moderated. I was away for a bit. Nikkei and Australia are some of the first to open here.

@Old_Joe, Nobody is banned yet. That is a figment of someone's imagination.
  • @Old_Joe Why would NYC ban JC and scott? Did they say something especially inflammatory about Janet, Col. Klink Dudley, or another member of the financial politburo?

To whom it may concern: check out AMZN, after-hours; not good. A couple more bricks like that outta the wall, and......
  • No, no...you have to check out the Massive Switch to New Credit Cards Coming post for the background on this. One of our self-appointed administrators was making his thoughts known (again).

Me, I was just trying to stir up the troops a bit, as usual. All in fun.:-)
  • Looking at it through long range empirical testing, unless the market disintegrates tomorrow below last weeks close ( SP 1886 ), then we are set up for the 19th Intermediate term positional trade, within the context of a "neutral" risk profile year, since 1924 (slides 11, 12, 13 here https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1GlQ9kfz20G_qWcEZpIaAdkGa8Vr5mD8_A-dFRGvEE0s/edit?usp=sharing.)

A statistically significant 4th quarter ( the 12th since 1924 ) was also identified for 2014 ( http://stockmarketmap.wordpress.com/2014/09/15/market-map-update-09152014/) keeping us long until Jan 19th ...

Nice to be on the side of "knowing" what to expect, instead relying on the emotionally charged, clueless financial media !
  • I predict more of the same.
  • Checking the futures, they seem to have pared back the declines some. Asia is finishing mixed with a bias towards red. The Nikkei which has had a splendid week gained another 1% today. Europe is solidly in the red as yesterday's news of promise was quickly forgotten.

• edited October 2014
    heezsafe said:

To whom it may concern: check out AMZN, after-hours; not good. A couple more bricks like that outta the wall, and......

Personally, I didn't expect any different from Amazon. Their continued desire to throw money into invest in the business and attempt to crush competition will probably go on for a while. The question is what valuation do you want to put on that situation? Bezos probably doesn't care about the shareholders, he has his plan and his view. Apparently, on the conference call yesterday, an analyst goes, "Can you tell us or remind us what financial measures are important to you guys ... it's a little hard to see any of them making positive progress."

There's also this: "Its net loss so far this year is $455 million. And the Q4 net profit, if any, is going to be lower than the operating profit. So in all likelihood, 2014 is going to be another red-ink year. It barely made money in 2013 ($274 million, a rounding error for a company with $74.5 billion in revenues). It lost $39 million in 2012. It made $631 million in 2011. This isn't exactly an improving trend." (http://seekingalpha.com/article/2593435-leading-indicator-amazon-gets-re-crushed)

Amazon did bungle the Fire phone, tho. They should have went the same route as Google did with the Nexus phones. If you want people in your ecosystem, really good phone for a much more reasonable price.

MSFT did well AH yesterday. UPS, PG and a few others this morning.
  • This situation is getting old with AMZN.
  • AAPL is over $105 premarket. Getting closer to a new record high. They have had a boomer of a week.
  • Yes. I bought in right after the split.
  • We opened well and considering the news overnight I think that's surprisingly good. Let's hope it can stay this way and even better would be some news from NY that limits the fear associated with the Ebola doctor.
  • Amazon chart: Amazon net income since inception versus CEO Jeff Bezos's net worth.

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user5/imageroot/2014/10/Jeff Bezos in perspective.jpg
  • edited October 2014
    "Amazon chart"

I don't understand how that can be: the blue column, on the left, is what I have spent there. The green column, on the right , is how much money Jeff has accumulated. How does he do that?
  • OK, back to John's original post, way up there at the top: "The hope is that the rally will continue to Friday's markets and can close higher thus confirming this rally".

It's looking like we'll close with a a decent week!
  • If we close where we are now it will be great! Volume is light but yesterday there was massive volume in the last 10 minutes so hopefully the same will happen today.
  • Looking good. Green is my favorite color.
  • edited October 2014
    Ha! Love the Bezo's net worth vs AMZN earnings chart.

Suspect time is running out and he needs to start paying attention to shareholders.
  • Current shareholders that is... Since I suspect the ones that bought in 2001 are not complaining.