Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

December update is . . . well, up.

Dear friends,

Highlights of the December update might include

a profile of Lockwell SCV, the progeny of a very successful institutional fund, same manager, same discipline. The investment minimum is $100,000 but the fund needs to generate assets right now, and so it looks pretty flexible.

a profile of Artisan Small Cap, the fund that launched the Artisan empire and then languished for a decade is managed by the Artisan Mid Cap team and they seem to be staging an awfully respectable turnaround.

sniping at CNBC for, yet again, mistaking press releases for news stories

a follow-up to a discussion started here about the Alpine funds

yet another way of looking for outstanding funds, those that lose at just the right time

an update on the Aston River Road Independent Value closing (I exchanged notes with Eric Cinnamond today)

two new interesting funds in registration - Wasatch Frontier Smaller Emerging Country and Hussman Strategic Dividend Value

plus more of the usual stuff.

And a bit of the unusual stuff. I really am grateful for the support of the Observer's readers, and especially you folks. As a token of my gratitude, I wrote a guide entitled Miscommunication in the Workplace: Causes, Prevention, Response. It draws on a lot of research, 25 years teaching about communication and the insights of really bright friends. I hope you find it interesting, readable, useful.

Take great care,

David

Comments