Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Record Auction Sale $24,000,000 For A Pocket Watch

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Some years ago we were, with a bunch of friends, investigating the mysteries of the old bazaar in Istanbul. Several of the male members of the group spotted a shop that "specialized" in knock-offs of expensive watches. Getting tired of waiting for them, I also went into the shop to see what was so interesting. Several spare salesmen immediately fastened themselves onto what appeared to be yet another American sucker, and inquired as to what type of watch I had in mind. When I told them that I was interested in a knockoff Timex there were loud cries of laughter and derision:"Timex?? Timex?? Who would make a knockoff of a junk Timex ?!!

Fortunately they all had a pretty good sense of humor. And they did peddle a number of imitation Rollex "Navigators" or "Submariners" or some such to my friends. A few years later all of the knockoffs had given up. My 20+ year old Seiko is still working just fine, though.
  • Christie’s Makes History With $853 Million Sale of Contemporary Art
    Andy Warhol’s ‘Triple Elvis [Ferus Type]’ Sells for $82 Million
    By KELLY CROW WSJ
    Nov. 12, 2014 11:39 p.m. ET
    'Christie’s total easily surpassed its own roughly $600 million expectations, as American hedge-fund managers and Asian entrepreneurs in black silk-lapel suits raised their paddles for nearly everything on offer— and attendees let out gasps on occasion as prices soared."
    http://online.wsj.com/articles/christies-makes-auction-history-with-853-million-sale-of-contemporary-art-1415853549?mod=WSJ_myyahoo_module