Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Maintenance complete on 11/15

edited November 2014 in Fund Discussions
Accipiter and I will be working to upgrade the discussion board software this Saturday. We're a few version behind and need to upgrade to patch up some security issues. We'll likely begin work at 11 a.m. EST. It could take up to six hours for us to do everything that we have planned, although we're hopeful of being done sooner.

Comments

• Thanks for letting us know.
  • And thank you for all that you do
  • TedTed
    edited November 2014
    @chip: You mean, I'm going have to talk to my wife for six hours. You've got to be kidding me.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Ted said:

@chip: You mean, I'm going have to talk to my wife for six hours. You've got to be kidding me.
    Regards,
    Ted

you could write her notes every once in a while and put some links in the note.
  • Accipiter said:

I still need a short name for the zero comments category.

"Crickets..."

• edited November 2014
    So, it is "Crickets" until I get a new name.

you can add comments to category but not discussions, and it will contain the discussions from the funds discussion category that have zero comments after 2 days basis.

The update and movement of discussion to another category would be whenever the admin has a chance to run the program.

that is the plan anyway.
  • @Accipiter

So, if I am away for 2 weeks; without a connection or time to connect to MFO; I will be able to view the "normal" board, but also have to go "dumpster diving" for other posts which get the boot, as there may be something of interest there, for me?
    Thanks,
    Catch
  • edited November 2014
    Yes, if thats what you call it, it will just have fund category discussions that have zero comments (after 2 days) moved to another category. A user suggested it, and David and Chip approved it.

everything is still viewable and commentable.
  • Crickets !! A bad idea, thought police.
  • edited November 2014
    Due to numerous requests of people mistakenly clicking Mark All Viewed in the Menu when viewing from Desktop Computer.

for logged in Users:

"Mark All Viewed" is in the cogwheel (top left panel cogwheel), it is no longer in the Menu

On various mobile devices ("Mark All Viewed" is still in the menu).

If you don't see it in the menu, you will see it in the cogwheel (gear icon) on top left panel.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Maurice said:

I hope that you will reconsider. I find this to be a useful tool.

We find it very valuable, too. And, it's still easy to get to. If you look to the left at the top of the discussion, next to your screen name. You'll see the small gear or cogwheel. When you click that "Mark all viewed" is one of the options. If you can't find it, I'll post a screen shot after we're done with the upgrade.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Back on-line. post when you want.
  • edited November 2014
    The upgrades went very smoothly, thanks very much to Accipiter's expertise with all thing Vanilla Forum. There a just a few changes that you may want to make note of:

• The "Mark All Viewed" option has been moved. Its previous location made it too easy to click accidentally, and there is no option to undo it. Now you can find "Mark All Viewed" under the Account Options gear, near your screen name in the top left panel of the screen. Hopefully, that will help us avoid accidental clicks. If you access the forum from a mobile device, you won't see any change.

• The Bullpen. You'll see a new category called The Bullpen on the left. Every day or two, we'll run a process that will move Fund Discussion threads that have had no comments in two days into The Bullpen category. If you'd like to bring a thread out of The Bullpen, just make a meaningful comment and the thread will return to the Fund Discussion category. It's really quite cool.

Please thank Accipiter for all his work on our behalf.
  • Chip: "The "Mark All Viewed" option has been moved. Its previous location made it too easy to click accidentally, and there was no option to undo it. "

Is there an option now to undo "Mark All Viewed"?
  • AndyJ said:

Is there an option now to undo "Mark All Viewed"?

No. I'll edit my post to be more clear. We just made it more difficult to click "Mark All Viewed" by accident.

• No. I'll edit my post to be more clear. We just made it more difficult to click "Mark All Viewed" by accident.

Got it - thanks - and thanks for your time working on the site.

• Thank you all! I like the bullpen as a new category name.
  • I'm still discovering what's new. Thank you all for all the work!
  • edited November 2014
    Is there a way to bring back a dumped post? Partially to test this, I found an interesting post by JohnC pertaining to proposed changes to the Roth IRA in the OT bullpen and added what I thought was a reasoned response. I thought the post warranted more attention, but had probably been buried by an avalanche of links shortly after being put up. Unfortunately, this post remains mired in the OT bullpen (along with my commentary).

No second chance for certain banished posts?

And, thanks to all of our high tech crew for the hard work.
  • edited November 2014
    hank said:

Is there a way to bring back a dumped post? Partially to test this, I found an interesting post by JohnC pertaining to proposed changes to the Roth IRA in the OT bullpen and added what I thought was a reasoned response. I thought the post warranted more attention, but had probably been buried by an avalanche of links shortly after being put up. Unfortunately, this post remains mired in the OT bullpen (along with my commentary).

No second chance for certain banished posts?

yes, there is a second chance for posts that were migrated to the bullpen and bullpen OT.
    An administrator will migrate back within a day or two. The post you were probably referring to has migrated back.

I'm still discovering what's new

Aside from what was previously mentioned in this discussion.

The best new thing that you will see is the ability to see the "buttonbar' when you edit comments, which was not available before.

Also, when you are not logged in, discussion and comment posts will reflect New York time EST.

the other new stuff is mainly behind the scenes.

• edited November 2014
    @Accipiter - Thanks for quick reply. That's great news. Sifting through dumpsters might be like looking for an overlooked "gem" at a re-sale shop or garage sale.:)

Found it! ... Thanks for all your hard work. Everyone appreciates it.
  • Time to close this thread.
  • Time to close this thread ! Second request !!
  • @Accipiter- thanks for the great work you did with this!! We're all very grateful for your efforts!
  • edited November 2014
    Good job, Accipiter, as usual. Hard to imagine this whole thing working without you and Chip behind the curtain, pulling the levers. Thanks!

Regards- OJ
  • Third request !!!
  • Maybe you have to be wearing your new Napoleon hat?