Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

NASDAQ - next stop all time highs?

edited November 2014 in Fund Discussions
Anyone believe the March 2000 all time high in the NASDAQ will be taken out sooner than later? It's less than 10% away. I would have preferred to have played this via technology funds ala say a PRGTX, but instead find myself with AAPL, SWKS, MSFT and as of this A.M. BABA, albeit the later is not on the NASDAQ. Does anyone have a favorite technology stock and one that is a tight rising channel as the aforementioned.

Edit: I am less than 10% away from my penultimate (next to last) financial goal and would be nice if it could be achieved via tech. But more likely junk funds if and when they ever come back to life.

Comments

• edited November 2014
    Probably. I own some tech, but not finding there to be that much to be excited about fundamentally and it's probably overbought. Still, as Rono has noted, price matters and it will probably reach former highs soon enough.

As for technicals, your thoughts on the weekly chart for MHG?

• Thanks Scott, and agree very overbought. I've been surprised by the price action in MSFT and how AAPL doesn't give you many chances to enter on down days. MHG as in Marine Harvest? Know nothing about it fundamentally. Chart wise, a bit too choppy for a momentum trader like myself and too thin volume wise.
  • beebee
    edited November 2014
    FISV (Fiserv Inc) seems to have a fairly tight (for a tech stock) rising 3 and 5 year chart. FIS (Fidelity National Information Systems) and JKHY (Jack Henry Associates) chart nicely as well.

• bee said:

FISV (Fiserv Inc) seems to have a fairly tight (for a tech stock) rising 3 and 5 year chart. FIS Fidelity National Informton Systems) and JKHY (Jack Henry Associates) chart nicely as well.

Thanks bee, I then use a revenue and per share growth filter to anything in a tight rising channel. I'll check it out.
  • edited November 2014
    I own FIS as a long-term holding. FIS/FISV basically dominate an interesting industry. Technically, FIS looks pretty good (although I'm no expert on technicals), but fundamentally:

FIS processes more than 27 billion transactions every year.
    In 2012, FIS moved more than $5.5 trillion across the globe.
    FIS transactions touch more than 750 million end consumers.
    FIS employs more than 39,000 people worldwide.
    Through the NYCE® Payments Network, FIS connects more than 440,000 ATMs, 95 million cards and over 2 million point-of-sale (POS) locations.
    Globally, FIS supports more than 71 million credit card accounts, 42 million loyalty accounts, 151 million prepaid cards and 78 million debit cards.
    FIS is the partner of choice in numerous industry verticals, including:
    Eight out of the top 10 global banks are FIS clients.
    Nearly 75 percent of all U.S. credit unions utilize a solution or service from FIS.
    FIS serves 18 of the top 25 national retailers.
    FIS scores more than 80 percent of all North American deposit accounts.

• @MFO Members: On July 17, 1995, the index closed above the 1,000 mark for the first time. It made steady gains in the following years to reach 2,000 points by 1998, then began to accelerate significantly. This process mushroomed in late 1999 amid concerns that businesses would require massive technology replacement to achieve Y2K compatibility, allowing the index to close that year at 4,069.31 points. On March 10, 2000, the index finally peaked at an intra-day high of 5,132.52,[1] and closed at an all-time high of 5,048.62. The decline from this peak signalled the beginning of the dot-com bubble burst.
    Regards,
    Ted

Source: From Wikipedia