Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• 00BY November 2014
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Muni Fund Overkill

Presently, I hold MITFX, SXFIX and PRFHX as muni bond funds but can't help think that I need only 1 or 2 funds in this area. I'll be adding to VTMFX as well in the future because I like the fund's mix in a taxable account. Would you consolidate and if so, which fund(s) would you eliminate? I prefer to tamp down risk in my portfolio where possible. VTMFX will be a long-term holding so that's not going anywhere.

Comments

• To be honest, I'm not overly familiar with the funds you're invested. But I tend to agree, one fund ought to be enough. Or you could have one intermediate term and one high yield. Did you end up with three b/c you hold them in different accounts?

FWIW - I'd keep SXFIX out of the three you mention b/c I like the ability to adjust duration. (But if you are trying to tamp down risk, then go with the shorter duration one MITFX.)