Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

HA Hawaiian Holdings and BNS Bank of Nova Scotia

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=HA+Interactive#
Soaring, with the other airlines, only better. Gawd, I remember this stock at THREE dollars. Now at $21.31....Still no dividend, though.

And what do we think of BNS?
http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/chart?symbol=BNS

Comments

• edited December 2014
    @MaxBialystock
    You noted: "Soaring, with the other airlines, only better. Gawd, I remember this stock at THREE dollars. Now at $21.31....Still no dividend, though."

>>>I'm a total return person for investments; dividend/yield or not. During the period of late 2008 and early 2009, the junk bond yields were amazing to view; but the motivation to purchase was not the yield, but that the amazing yield existed because the price of these issues had been beat into the ground. This is were the money was made; not so much for the stellar yield that eventually found its "norm". I suspect that one could ask any investor who has held Apple stock or similar for a period of time whether that really give a rip if there is a dividend or not. I'm sure most would be happy with the "total return", eh? If there is a dividend/yield, great; tis just some good gravey on the already tasty mashed potatoes.

Also noted: "And what do we think of BNS? "

>>> More important, is what do you think of BNS? If you own this stock, are you still satisfied with the return; versus the original thought of why the investment was purchased. Personally, I would not have an interest with this singular holding.

Just my view of motivations for buying an investment, on a cold morning and starting the second large cup of coffee.
    Catch
  • Just my two cents on HA. This airline came from bankruptcy and with some help was able to begin to re-fleet themselves which was a huge step forward. They were flying some very old aircraft. (and they still do) They have been expanding their route map to include Asia and Oceana. The west coast of US is very competitive and Alaska has the edge there with service to the islands they started a while back. They have had great success and that might have been what drove HA to bankruptcy though high labor costs and fuel were also factors. Based in Hawaii, costs are expensive.

For the future, I don't see where they can expand from here. We are talking about a limited destination in Hawaii and they don't seem to be going anywhere else. I compare them to Alaska Air in that they started as regional and specific in their routes, but Alaska has a knack for getting into underserved markets and that is how they have expanded their route map . They fly to the east coast and have been making some stops in the midwest now. Alaska also uses the Southwest model in that they fly only Boeing 737-### aircraft after getting rid of the MDs. HA has many different routes including long haul which Alaska does not do, so that means different aircraft. They have been purchasing Airbus 330-### planes which are okay for long haul.

With all that said, I don't see any visibility in their model.
  • edited December 2014
  • ...I think if I'd been ABLE to buy HA much cheaper, I'd be looking for the exits, lately, because it IS doing so well, and for the reasons you have explained.
    ...As for BNS, I lived in Canada for some extended periods, years back. That's how I first heard of BNS, to begin with. More important, their banking industry is very highly concentrated, and BNS is among the six big players. Just as important, their banking industry is very highly REGULATED, unlike the USA. So they did not experience the blow-up and scandals and bailouts that we did, on this side of the border. I LIKE the fact that they're not ever apt to endure an ordeal like the whole "London Whale" thing. (Or worse, much worse.) Further, it DOES offer a dividend, which was just raised a tad, by a mere .02 cents. It's .68 cents, the dividend, now.

I was just imagining holding the stock forever and harvesting the dividends forever and re-investing them. If Canada is saturated in terms of banking services, BNS is Canada's most international bank. Source is Barron's or Morningstar or WSJ, I was just doing a lot of reading on it. Thanks, guys.
  • edited December 2014
    BNS is - as you noted - Canada's most international bank. However, they still have significant exposure to Canada, which may be in some trouble if commodities prices continue to tank.

Short-to-mid-term I think there could definitely be some bumps for BNS. Long-term, solid. Canada does have greater regulation, but that housing market is the height of ridiculousness. BNS is also one of the largest bullion banks (http://www.scotiamocatta.com/)

As for Canada's housing market, http://www.crackshackormansion.com/
  • edited December 2014
    Scandal some years ago with shoddy construction on brand-new condo projects in Vancouver. People were screaming, it was all over the news. But look at Osoyoos, further inland, along a pretty lake by the same name, and in a rain shadow. It gets cold in the winter but mostly dry. Snow is not the problem it is elsewhere, inland. I see one here for $149,000.00 but who knows what's wrong with it--- eh? ;)
    http://www.royallepage.ca/en/bc/osoyoos/properties#.VH46cMmTNAI
  • edited December 2014
    ....And now, this stock purchase must wait. (Sigh.) Gotta buy a new car. My '97 Saturn is an "old soldier," as Gen. MacArthur quoted from the song. It's not dying, just fading away. Still runs and goes! But too much rust. Like its owner. Accch. I hate it when I have to do such things. The Saturn is familiar and comfortable. And reliable. Except for the day, sometime in the future, when the rusted frame on the driver's side gives way, and the engine falls down, cock-eyed. Sigh.