Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Saga of Radio Shack Continues....

How much money has been dumped down this hole?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102331098

Comments

• edited January 2015
    This is what malinvestment thanks to ZIRP looks like.
  • Can you say "got what they deserved"
  • From the RS perspective it looks a lot like they got what they didn't deserve!
  • I'm wondering what Salus Capital sees in Radio Shack? According to the article the two had a spat last month over the previous $250 million loan yet Salus opens up their wallet for $500 million more?

Unbelievable.
  • Maybe they need to file to get out of the leases they can't break, among other things. Or, threaten at least to do so.

You know, like Delta...had to go bankrupt before they could rise from the ashes.

I actually bought a couple things at our Radio Shack recently. Store was fairly busy. Staff helpful. But everybody in there was like my age, except the staff.

I suspect there are some stores that continue to do pretty well.
  • I have a hard time envisioning what Radio Shack would be reinvented. One idea might be home automation. That is a going to be a hot market one of these days. A name change might help too.

Maybe the powers to be could cut me a slice of that loan for the ideas? Say $5 million? It would never happen.

If they come back as the same thing, it would be a mistake in my opinion. You are probably right @Charles. Some stores may be doing well.
  • my main beef w RS are the prices. everything in the store is marked up more than any other place i go to. i hate buying there. that said, sometimes, like if i'm out of town and need something in a hurry, i'll pick it up at RS. but then i'll return it for a refund as soon as i can. $15 for an iphone charger? i don't think so. not when i can get the same thing on amazon for $1.25.
  • Yeah, I was very surprised and annoyed how much they wanted for little disc L-i batteries that I needed right then. They used not to be that way at all, but I suppose some companywide markup mandate to help in this crisis came into existence.
  • edited January 2015
    Our local store dispenses lots of "free" technical information. That's what you're supposedly paying for (admittedly unnecessary when buying a battery). I've had them spend 15-20 minutes with me trying to work out an issue. So, on those rare occasions when I pay their exorbitant prices ... I grin & swallow. Whenever possible I research on the Internet and order from the giant Amazon that's swallowing the retail world. Even with one-day shipping, you'll likely come out ahead.

A concept designed for the 60s trying to compete in the 21st century. For the life of me I can't think of how they could restructure that business to make it profitable. But there has to be a way. Maybe smaller boutique shops located within large retail giants the way Starbucks does might work. I'd also try some type of in-home technical service, maybe coupled with off-site seminars. Think of all the elderly folks who aren't able to enjoy the Internet and other modern conveniences because they lack the technical background. (On second thought ... such personal assistance in using computers/Internet might open up a legal quagmire no one wants to step into.)

They have a retail website - but nobody does it better than Amazon. I've learned that while shopping on Walmart's site. It's good - but can't hold a candle to Amazon's for ease of use. And, don't overlook EBay either.