Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

International mutual funds

What if any new additions to the international sector. Which funds historically have bounced better off down periods in international sector?
prinx

Comments

• @prinx: U.S. News & World ranking of various categories of Internation Mutual Funds.
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://money.usnews.com/funds/mutual-funds/international-stock
  • @Ted: Thanks for the link. While there, I found this:

Foreign Small/Mid Value
    #1: Pear Tree Polaris Foreign Value Small Cap Fund (QUSIX)

If you missed it, here's David's take on this fund.
  • Interesting to do a search for international (blend, growth, value) funds that are in the top 15% for 1,3,and 5-yr periods. Only four funds show up, and only two of those have had the current manager at the helm for five years: Ivy International Core Equity and Great-West MFS International Value. Ivy's John Maxwell has done outstanding work, under the radar, since he came to the fund in 2006. We use ICEIX, but IVVYX may also be available. Unfortunately, Maxwell's fund is not on the Fidelity no-load platform. You may have to work hard to find the fund and not pay a commission. But worth a look if you do.

Other managers worth checking are Bernie Horn from QFVIX, Mark Yockey from ARTMX, and Walter Bean/Daniel Peris from IVFIX. The latter is particularly interesting if you like to emphasize dividend yields, which is an attractive 4.97% and has a very low 11% turnover.
  • BobC said:

Other managers worth checking are Bernie Horn from QFVIX, Mark Yockey from ARTMX, and Walter Bean/Daniel Peris from IVFIX. The latter is particularly interesting if you like to emphasize dividend yields, which is an attractive 4.97% and has a very low 11% turnover.

Hi BobC,

Hope all is well with you!

Since I constantly get Artisan symbols mixed up, I have tried to better familiarize myself with them. Did you mean ARTIX?

Best Regards,

Mona

• Hi prinx,

My short list of attractive international funds include: FMIJX, HEDJ, DBEF, QUSOX, BISMX and OSMYX. As for biggest bounce, I would favor OSMYX.

Kevin
  • I've been in MINIX about a year and only Int'l fund I own although I have used global funds for Int'l exposure with MWEFX and OAKGX.