Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Just bought more MAPIX

78.4 shares. Trad. IRA, credited to 2011. I dunno if China will manage a soft landing or not. And I've said over and over in here that "Asia is the future." That's still true. Even if we ARE in a "New Normal" environment. I think profits and our cap. gains from mutual funds will be more subdued for the foreseeable future, yes. On plain, simple straightforward demographics, Asia will be eating our lunch for years to come. In the West, we've already become an Empire of Consumption rather than Production. Biting off its own nose to spite its face, Asia wants to become like us. Regardless of the broader picture, including ethical considerations, Jakarta, Manila, Beijing and Mumbai will be doing better than ourselves here in the USA, going forward. Short and Medium-term, the dollar might make a temporary comeback. And let's remember that it's Quick-profit-in-and-out TRADERS that drive the market, not INVESTORS. ("In-and-out" remind you of anything in particular? It's deliberate.)

Comments

• For shame! And you a religious sort of guy too... whatever is the world coming to??
    :-))
  • edited January 2012
    So you're saying the US is in an odd handcuffed position? Sort of like being in an awkward and unpleasant position of being handcuffed between your wrists and your ankles while in prison? Not a pretty position to be in.

By the way - I also really like MAPIX as well.

• edited January 2012
    I think there are some very interesting specific companies in Asia (primarily the conglomerates that offer a variety of assets under one umbrella - Genting, Swire, Jardine Matheson, Hutchison Whampoa - I continue to own Jardine and don't own Genting but I think their entry into the US in NY and Miami is interesting), but in terms of anyone with a long-term view on Asia, fund-wise the main thing I'd really recommend would be MAPIX and/or MACSX, as I think any sort of Asian growth story will have bumps in the road and the nature of those two funds will lead to a considerably smoother ride over time.

• edited January 2012
    I think you're right about the volatility thing, Scott, and your choice of funds. My portfolio is still way too concentrated, but once I get the opportunity (when a particular, expected thing finally happens,) I'll be buying BERIX in serious amounts. If I have the cash to spare when the time comes, I will also add DODIX and/or MWHYX.
  • edited January 2012
    Reply to @MaxBialystock: I definitely agree with your views on emerging markets - I added a tiny bit of Coca-Cola FEMSA (COCSF; thinly traded) the other day.

However, I think it may be worth consideration of a manager with a differing (at least at the moment) opinion as a sort of diversifier/hedge. Marketfield (MFLDX) is a long-short fund with a solid track record (the fund lost 12% in 2008, then gained 31% in 2009 and 14% in 2010); I don't agree with them regarding EM or precious metals (at last check, they are short EM as well as financials and are using an futures strategy w/metals), but as a moderate portion of my portfolio, I've allowed their views (some of which I do agree with, some of which I don't) in.

There's a long and informative review with the manager here:
    http://www.marketfield.com/AdvisorPerspectives20111121MAM.pdf

Additionally, the fund is highly flexible and will likely change quite a bit over time - so while I don't agree with their views entirely now, the fund may also look very different 6 months from now and their track record is quite good. I believe poster Bob C also uses this fund.

• Reply to @Old_Joe:
    RETIRED religious sort of guy, Old Joe! Hee hee hee.
  • MFLDX, OK, got it. Am I stupid or just naive to resist such strategies? (Long/short funds, inverse, in-and-out constant churning sorts of funds?)...? I see your point, nevertheless.
  • Reply to @MaxBialystock: The difference with Marketfield is that the fund isn't quite as strict with the "short" part of long/short and attempts to be more flexible, dialing up/down long and short exposure as it sees fit. The fund also makes sizable macro calls. It's a pretty unique fund in the long/short space.

Definitely do your own research, but if you want to consider including alternative strategies, it is worth a look.

Aronstein's $764-million fund has a broad mandate, allowing it to go long and short stocks, invest across different sectors and countries, even buy and sell futures and commodities.

"It's basically a hedge fund in a mutual-fund package," Aronstein said. "We have the flexibility to go pretty much to any asset category, either long or short."

The strategy portion of the fund's prospectus:

"To achieve the Fund's investment objective, the Adviser will allocate the Fund's
    assets among investments in equity securities,fixed-income securities and other
    investment companies, including exchange-traded funds ("ETFs"), in proportions
    consistent with the Adviser's evaluation of their expected risks and returns.
    In making these allocations, the Adviser considers various factors, including
    macroeconomic conditions, corporate earnings at a macroeconomic level, anticipated
    inflation and interest rates, consumer risk and its perception of the outlook of
    the capital markets as a whole. A macroeconomic strategy focuses on broad trends
    and is generally distinguished from a strategy that focuses on the prospects of
    particular companies or issuers. The Adviser may allocate the Fund's investments
    between equity and fixed-income securities at its discretion, without limitation.

The Fund's investments in fixed-income securities normally consist of investment
    grade corporate bonds and debentures, mortgage-backed and asset-backed
    securities, United States Treasury obligations, municipal securities,
    obligations issued by the U.S. Government and its agencies or instrumentalities
    and convertible securities. The Fund may also invest in zero-coupon bonds,
    without limitation. In addition, the Fund may invest up to 30% of its net assets
    in high-yield fixed-income securities commonly referred to as "junk bonds." The
    fixed-income securities in which the Fund invests may have maturities of any
    length and may have variable and floating interest rates.

The Fund's equity securities investments may include common and preferred stocks
    of U.S. companies of any size. In addition, the Fund may invest up to 50% of its
    net assets in equity or fixed-income options, futures contracts and convertible
    securities and may invest up to 30% of its net assets in swap agreements.
    Additionally, with respect to 50% of the Fund's net assets, the Fund may engage
    in short sales of index-related and other equity securities to reduce its equity
    exposure or to profit from an anticipated decline in the price of the securities
    sold short.

The Fund may invest up to 50% of its net assets in equity securities of foreign
    companies of any size, including up to 35% of its net assets in securities
    issued by corporations or governments located in developing or emerging
    markets. The Fund's investments in foreign securities may include, but are not
    limited to, American Depositary Receipts ("ADRs"), European Depositary Receipts
    ("EDRs") and Global Depositary Receipts ("GDRs"), including up to 35% of its net
    assets in securities issued by corporations or governments located in developing
    or emerging markets.

The Fund may borrow money from banks or other financial institutions to purchase
    securities, which is commonly known as "leveraging," in an amount not to exceed
    one-third of its total assets, as permitted by the Investment Company Act of
    1940, as amended (the "1940 Act"), and may also engage in securities lending to
    earn income.

Security selection for the Fund is driven by the Adviser's top-down analysis of
    economic issues, investor sentiment and investment flows. Once the Adviser has
    identified a theme that either benefits or disadvantages a specific sector or
    country, it seeks to implement an investment strategy that is appropriate for
    the Fund. In some cases, the Adviser utilizes a sector- or country-specific ETF
    that offers exposure to a broad range of securities. In other situations, the
    Adviser may select a single issue that is perceived to be particularly germane
    to a specific concern or a small group of issues with characteristics that match
    the goal of creating portfolio exposure to a macroeconomic theme."
  • dont forget msmlx opened its door again!
  • edited January 2012
    I also like MAPTX (Pacific Tiger) as well in combination with MAPIX or MACSX because MAPTX has a deeper "emerging" flavor to it especially because it leaves out Japan and Australia.

http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/article.aspx?id=530169

Fund Manager Q&A

Asia Is Front-Runner in Global-Growth Race
    ===========================

"Sharat Shroff is a portfolio manager at Matthews International Capital Management. He manages the firm's Pacific Tiger and India strategies and comanages the firm's Asia Growth strategy. Specific to Matthews Pacific Tiger (MAPTX), he recently answered our questions on how to navigate the market in times of volatility while at the same time minimizing risk potential. He also offered a constructive outlook for China in 2012 and how investing in smaller markets such as Thailand and Indonesia can provide a boost to overall investment opportunities. Lastly, Shroff mentioned that focusing on household-income-driven industries, such as the consumer, health-care, and financials sectors, is prudent."