Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The weather is here, I wish you were beautiful

Just in case you weren't entirely sure: snow sucks worse than the winter in general. Snow is the same color as pus, and we need more snow as much as we need more pus.

Comments

• @Crash This is when you go get new shades, with a different tint. Then, whenever you go outside you put them on and, voila--- "pus" all gone!
  • edited February 2015
    Thanks Crash

But ... I don't think the beer is ever too cold.

(Well - occasionally when it freezes in the can while I'm out blowing snow.) :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited February 2015
    @Maurice: absolutely. Snow berms along the tree belt are 5 feet tall. Ridiculous. And yes, southern New England here is in the path of the next batch, along with yourself. Putrid, worthless junk. I've got an invite to move with wifey to Hawaii. Sounds damn good. Saving and waiting. Saving and waiting. This is nonsense. Counting the days.
  • edited February 2015
    Hi @Crash

Hey, Max; here is a brief notation about what it may cost to leave the snow and be around Hono.....................

---Price difference in Honolulu, HI and Worchester, MA

Groceries
    42%more

Housing
    114%more

Utilities
    86%more

Transportation
    22%more

Health Care
    14%more

Also, this link; which offers a few details. I chose Worchester, as the default city, for the compare to Hono.

Lava flows at no additional cost.:)

Take care,
    Catch
  • I went for a full-moon XC ski.
  • @InformalEconomist: I was a downhill skier in my youth. No room for that, anymore. The snow comes at too high a cost, in other ways.:)

@Catch22: Yes, it's expensive. I'm in Springfield, not Worcester. But your point is valid. I've seen it. We've been out there, to Hawaii. Great trip. Not a bit of Oahu we DIDN'T see. Christmas/New Year's, 2005/2006. Seriously, though: with three incomes, we ought to be able to make it. I can become a veggie:) and just eat fruit, hee hee. Not long afterwards, Medicare will take care of me. I count the days, and there's less than 2 weeks to Spring Training. Filthy snow.
  • Haven't seen snow for 40yrs. what is it?....Going to hit golf balls, big match tomorrow 70 degrees and sunny
  • Jealous.
  • edited February 2015
    @Crash
    Max, don't forget for forward planning that once you start SS and Medicare; that Medicare will reduce your monthly SS payment to you by $104.90 for Plan B (2015 number) + annual increase. Also that you need to consider gap insurance for what is not covered by Medicare. For Hawaii at age 65, nonsmoker would be about $113/month, subject to an annual increase. And perhaps a drug scrip add-on, for meds not covered by Medicare. This may average cost to about $20/month with a $325 deductible (you pay this amount first for some drugs before a more full coverage begins).

Regards,
    Catch
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Catch22: YER A REAL PAL. It's good to have those sorts of actual, real numbers in front of me. Thank you. @Maurice::) "The wino and I know...." In keeping with our tropical New England in February theme.
  • Yeah, Worcester got socked hard this winter, with more tk. Crash, how did Springfield fare? Wayland has puhlenty, I will say.
  • I'm rather worried about the frozen, then thawed, then re-frozen pile of ice by the edge of the roof. I hope it doesn't take out the gutter. We have just plain been clobbered. Last year was the worst I'd been through. My three winters in Alaska were not THAT bad. Snow berms along the treebelt are 5 feet high. It's completely nuts.
  • edited February 2015
    @Tamabay:

To answer your question,
    Snow looks just like the sand at Clearwater Beach. I actually wear sun shades to drive in it.
  • My 80yo. mother (in mid West) used to say "its so beautiful" She never went out of the House
  • edited February 2015
    @Crash - Yeah that sucks. A year ago we had a foot of ice up there and the roof started leaking. Spent the better part of 2 days up on an aluminum ladder swinging a 12 Lb splitting maul (blunt end) using both hands to shake the roof boards and knock it loose.

Um ... still alive.

• GAWD!!!!! Hank, I'm glad you're still alive. I literally could not do that, even if I understood what to do. You have my admiration on that score!
  • One of the reasons I moved to new mexico is the winters are not bad, averages 50 or so, with very little snow, but you can usually find some within an hour or two for skiing. Ihad my fair share of snow when I lived in cleveland, so don't miss it. Summers can get hot, but rarely above 100 and it usually cools down to 70s since we are a mile high. No hurricanes or tornados but having grown up on the south shore of Long Island sure do miss the water. But then again, I don't shovel snow anymore:)
  • @Slick - if you care to comment, is there any reason(s) in particular that you chose NM over say FL or CA other than the cost of housing in the case of CA? I ask because I looking to escape the cold of winters in MN and just spent 3 weeks looking at housing in FL. I'm also considering TN, NM and OR. Thanks.
  • I came to new mexico in 2001 to be with the love of my life whom I met while I was living in baltimore. Hard to beat the weather here as , long as you want 4 seasons. The only other place that I would consider is north carolina, but when you get used to a dry climate, hard to go back to a humid one except for vacations.
  • Hi @Mark
    I know a few folks who escape Michigan to spend 3 months at Orange Beach, AL.
    It can become "cool" when the big fronts push into the deep south; but very inexpensive relative to Tampa and further south in Florida. They rent 2 and 3 bedroom apartments.

Take care,
    Catch